MSA Storage
1748268 Members
3673 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion

MSA1000 and Cisco 9120

David VerPlanck

MSA1000 and Cisco 9120

I am trying to connect the MSA 1000 to a Cisco 9120. However, whatever I try I get the following errors.

From the 9120... elpFailureUnknownFlowCTLCode which translates to "Isolated for ELP failure due to invalid flow control code."

MSA1000 gives a similar error... HP Switches indicate “Invalid flow control mode”

I have verified both are in E mode, on the 9120 I am using one of the first 4 ports, I have tried setting them to 1Gig and also setting each to auto (one at a time).

I could find no real help on this searching the web.
9 REPLIES 9
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Re: MSA1000 and Cisco 9120

The MSA1000 itself is a storage array, not capable to provide E_Port functionality.
I guess that you have embedded Fibre Channel switches in the box?

If those are the old 6-port switches - forget it. I those are the embedded 8-port Brocade switches - I think you need to care about switch interoperability modes.

There is some documentation on this page:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?contentType=SupportManual&locale=en_US&docIndexId=179911&taskId=101&prodTypeId=12169&prodSeriesId=406734

look for:
"HP StorageWorks Fabric Interoperability:
Merging Fabrics Based on C-Series and B-Series Fibre Channel Switches Application Notes
(AA-RV1ZD-TE, September 2005)"
David VerPlanck

I probably should have been more specific about the MSA1000 switches, I assumed they all used the same ones.

The switches in the MSA1000's enclosure are 2/8q Fibre Channel Switches, 2 of course. I attempt to connect each one to a 9120 but each gives the same error as described in my original post.

All equipment was purchased within the last 6 months and this is their initial configuration.

I will check out that C-Series and B-Series Fabric Interoperability doc to see if any of the info in it could be applicable to my situation.

Thanks for your help!

Dave
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Ah, sorry, and *I* forgot about the Q switches :-(

Unfortunately, the manual does not apply, because the Q switches are from Qlogic - just another vendor.

As far as I can tell, what you have is a low-end solution and there is no supported way to link it to any other switches. You might want to go to QLogic's webpage to see if they publish any documents for interoperability with other switch vendors.
BR894765
Valued Contributor

As I remember 2/8q cannot be cascaded to another switch.
David VerPlanck

Quick Spec page for MSA1000 indicates the 9120 is compatible, but they don't specify the 2/8q so I assume previous switches that came with the MSA1000 were, and its likely this one is not. QLogic did not have an answer and said I should contact HP, which I am doing now.

Thanks for your help.
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

I think you are misreading the quickspecs. If they specify compatibility with a CISCO 9210, then it's through a Fibre Channel I/O module, not through any embedded switch.
BR894765
Valued Contributor

d v
You say, that switches are in the MSA1000's enclosure. If this switches embedded in the back of MSA enclosure, then this is not 2/8q switch but MSA SAN switch 2/8.
David VerPlanck

2/8q are the switches in the chassis. They sit above the drives, not sure what you mean by embedded in the back.

I contacted HP support and they indicated that I should follow the "HP StorageWorks Fabric Interoperability: Merging Fabrics Based on C-Series and B-Series Fibre Channel Switches Application Notes
(AA-RV1ZD-TE, September 2005)" document, as was suggested earlier.

I performed the B Series instructions on the 2/8q switches and it resolved the problem.
BR894765
Valued Contributor

Switches in the MSA chassis is MSA SAN switch 2/8 (and it B-switch), nor 2/8q (which is QLogic, take a unit in rack and cannot be connected to another switch).