5029 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: MSA1000 configuration questions

SOLVED
Go to solution
CA1096128

MSA1000 configuration questions

Good day. We are ready to purchase the MSA1000 however I have one question that I need help with. The unit will be connected to a Integrity server that will have HP-UX, Windows and Linux installed. This is a test box. My understanding is that the MSA1000 controller card is only compatible with Windows and Linux. It will require a firmware upgrade to be used in a HP-UX environment. Once this firmware is upgraded can it be 'downgraded' to the Windows/Linux environment or am I better off purchasing a second controller card? RC
8 REPLIES 8
CA1004701
Advisor
Solution

Rick,
You can upgrade and downgrade the firmware without a problem. I do it all the time in the lab.

Glenn
CA1096128

Glenn,

Thanks for the response. Just what I was hoping to be able to do. I do see the firmware update for the HP-UX but I don't see it anywhere for reverting back to the original. Will that be included with the card? Any documentation available to 'downgrade'?
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

CA1004701
Advisor

Rick,
Uwe points you to the site. The flash is really just putting a particular version on the controller. It doesn't really know whether it is an upgrade or downgrade -- and it doesn't care.
Since this is a test environment you don't have to worry about configurations getting blown away and that makes things easier.

Glenn
CA1096128

Thanks Uwe and Glenn. This helps calms my fears.
CA1096128

Glenn, are you running all three OS'es on the server? Do you have three seperate HBA cards for each OS? I'm being quoted three but I thought I saw one card that ran both HP-UX and Linux.
CA1004701
Advisor

Rick,
The following two HBAs will meet your requirements:
A6826A - HP-UX & Linux
AB466A - Windows 64-Bit

These are dual port. If you go here:
http://h18006.www1.hp.com/storage/saninfrastructure.html
you can see what's available. There is a single port adapter that will do Windows and Linux. Unfortunately there isn't a single HBA that will do all three at this time that is HP supported.

Glenn

CA1096128

I compared the AB466A against the AB232A and it looks like the 466 is a newer card. I'll go with that one. Thanks for all the help.

Rick