MSA Storage
1752667 Members
5557 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: MSA1000 - does it have a preferred controller?

Jan Estall
Occasional Contributor

MSA1000 - does it have a preferred controller?

I have an MSA1000 connected to a W2K3 cluster and an assortment of other W2K3 servers. I have noticed that normally the active/active MSA1000 controller seems to be controller 1. If I do a forced failover to contrioller 2 (by unplugging controller 1, in order to get the ACU to 'see' the HBA in slot 2 of a newly added server)controller 2 remains as the active/active controller, until I reboot any of the servers attached to the SAN. As the server comes back up the active/active role switches back to controller 1. Does anyone know if that is by design or is there a configuration or firmware (currently version 4.48) issue here?
2 REPLIES 2
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

If you boot a server and the MSA1000 does a 'failback', this is initiated from the server. The controllers do not swap roles on their own.
Jan Estall
Occasional Contributor

Hi Uwe
The majority of the servers connected to the SAN are HP DL360 G4s (running W2K3 or W2K3 Enterprise) with 2 QLogic HBAs installed. Our MSA1000 controller 1 is connected via one switch to all the HBAs in slot 2 of each server and controller 2 is connected via another switch to all the HBAs in slot 1 of each server which seems to imply that HBA slot 2 is the 'preferred' slot. Have you or any one else, any ideas or thoughts on that theory?
Regards
Jan