cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MSA1000 wants another drive Again

Dion Boyd_1
Occasional Visitor

MSA1000 wants another drive Again

I've got an MSA1000 with an MSA30 attached. On the 8th it had one drive, the 3rd in the MSA30, that was taking so long to rebuild that my techs removed it thinking it was bad. Plus, the 7th disk in the MSA1000 had the red LED on it. We ran ADU then and reinstalled the 3rd disk in the MSA30. It eventually finished rebuilding, then we replaced the bad drive and that one seemed to rebuild OK. Everything seemed fine until the 17th.
The primary controller failed over to the backup controller. Then disc 3 in the MSA30 showed it was failed. We reseated it and that seemed to fix it. We pulled the backup controller out to make it go back to the primary controller, then it said that disk 7 in the MSA1000 was failed. We replaced it with a new drive and it was able to finish rebuilding, again.

Could I have a bad chassis or controller?

Attached are both ADU reports.
5 REPLIES 5
IBaltay
Honored Contributor

Re: MSA1000 wants another drive Again

Hi,
check/upgrade also the HDD firmware to be up to date and maybe the controller firmware too - minimal version is 4.48 and preferred 5.20.
the pain is one part of the reality
Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

Dion Boyd

Did you manage to check what is rebuilding priority?
Is the rebuilding stuck?
What is the load on disksubsystem. that may stop rebuilding if it set to low?

There are lot of thing which can point to your problem.

Prashant S.
Nothing is impossible
predrag81
Valued Contributor

You must first upadte all HDD firmware to be same, depending of models(recommendation).
Then update ACU, ACU, SMH(if you use it) and finally if disk problem occures again maybe you should consider to replace backplane on MSA30, because, it's unusuall to failed disk after reasiting works again as correct device. It's a probably backplane.

KR,
Predrag
Dion Boyd_1
Occasional Visitor

Thank you for good advice. The key here seems to be HP's mantra, "is all the firmware at the latest version". We'll try updating all the firmware and ACU. Hopefully it doesn't turn out to be the chassis.
IBaltay
Honored Contributor

dont forget to keep the mantra also for the msa30 enclosure :-)
the pain is one part of the reality