MSA Storage
1748257 Members
4024 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: MSA1500 Power off during a disk expand. Now can't access drive while Parity ?

buzi
Occasional Advisor

MSA1500 Power off during a disk expand. Now can't access drive while Parity ?

Dear all,

Sorry, but I'm in stress! :S

This never happened to me! :S

We have a old MSA 1500 with 2xMSA30 on a FC SAN, serving one array (Raid5) with 2 logical drives to a cluster of 2 servers (windows 2003 x86). I was doing something that I have done a few times before with no problems: - adding a new disk to the array, so I could expand the size of logical drive 2 (e:\). But this time, after adding the new disk to the array, and the parity init run for a while, we had a power outage and the storage system was turned off. 

When I got the cluster and storage equipment back on, the cluster couldn't mount the second logical drive (the most importand with 1.5TB - first drive is only quorom with 500MB).

Checked Disk Managment on Windows, and Quorum drive was mounted OK, I had access. But for the logical drive 2 (E:\), the drive was listed, but with no file system, and no access. Everytime I tried to acess the drive in "my computer", I got the message "The Device is not ready". :(

I checked the ACU and there was the usual alarm when I expand the array: 

"Background parity initialization is currently queued or in progress on Logical Drive 2 (1.5 TB, RAID 5). If background parity initialization is queued, it will start when I/O is performed on the drive. When background parity initialization completes, the performance of the logical drive will improve. "

But the "Parity Initialization Status" for about 30 minutes didn't pass the 0%.

So I changed the priority to high, and right now, after 4 hours stil at 40%.

I also checked that the new drive was added to the array, so I tried to expad the same logical drive. When I did this, I also did a rescan disks on windows disk managment, and the increase of size was updated. But still no accesso to the drive. 

Does this mean my logic drive 2 will be ok when parity init end ?

What should I do ? I do have backups, but theres always someting missing (about 6 hours).

Thks a lot in advance.

Miguel

10 REPLIES 10
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Re: MSA1500 Power off during a disk expand. Now can't access drive while Parity ?

Hey!

Now it's been a couple more hours, is it increasing?

I hope it will be OK. If not, you can get more diagnostic information via an ADU report and through 'show tech_support' through the CLI of the MSA1500.
buzi
Occasional Advisor

Yup still here! :( 

At 98%... News update in 20-30 min ...   %(

buzi
Occasional Advisor

Nothing. All done, but drive and cluster are still down. :(

Preparing a new array with unused disks to restore backup...

Help plz... Is it still possible to get the drive back online ?

Thks in Advance.

Miguel

Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Maybe a power cycle of the MSAs would do some good.

The bus ids of the disks look strange on the second bus.

In what order did you power the enclosures up with?

Start with the MSA30s.

buzi
Occasional Advisor

doing... be back in minutes...
buzi
Occasional Advisor

Nope... doesn't mount disk e:\ :( Started with MSA30s, the MSA1500 and the the cluster and nothing. :( Any idea ?
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

And it looks all OK now in ACU?

Then I suppose there might be something wrong with that file system (not logical drive)then, as far as I could tell in the ADU it should be OK.

buzi
Occasional Advisor

Looks ok in ACU, but windows says drive not ready! :( Never happened to me....
buzi
Occasional Advisor

Update.

Just stopped cluster member server number two, and disabled the windows cluster service in member number one.

Also disabled the cluster device driver in the device manager. 

Windows requested a reboot, and at boot time windows auto started a chkdsk. I'm assuming that it detected the drive and the filesystem, and that it is corrupt. 

Chkdsk is still runnig (started 1 hour ago), and keeps sending a message to the console:

"Insert an index entry into index $0 of file25". 

I'm assuming this means that my $Extend\$Objld (a metada file in the Master File Table, wich is used to store file system information) is corrupt, right ? 

How much time is this going to take ?! Should I stop it and use other tools to recover the filesystem ?

Or chkdsk can handle it properly ?

Thks again. 

Miguel