MSA Storage
1753773 Members
6017 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: MSA1500 errors: SAN initiator unknown, missing from zone, error in Device Manager and L&TT scan

BarnabyArnott
Frequent Advisor

MSA1500 errors: SAN initiator unknown, missing from zone, error in Device Manager and L&TT scan

I am concerned about the "Stop" error on the MSA device. The error text reads:
"Unexpected Win32 error encountered during I/O scanning: 317"
Details:
Event ID: 0x800040A/53
Context ID: 2
Detail Level: Normal/8

Prior to corrections to the library configuration (remove the router AF LUN to prevent scanning error using STORport driver):
"This device has been hot-swapped: the old driver may not work fo rthe new device"

Additional error in L&TT scan (note spelling error!)
"Redunant device listing. Device P56350HX3SR020 listed with paths 2/0.0.1 and 2/0.0.2."
This is reflected in the server registry HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HARDWARE\DEVICEMAP\Scsi\Scsi Port 2\Scsi Bus 0\Target Id 0\Logical Unit Id 1
Is this a concern, on an artifact of how Windows registers two SCSI LUN targets from the same SAN device?

Additional error from the SAN switch config:
Device entry as Unknown(initiator/target) results in it not being included in a zone (though the zone config includes the port)

Additional error in the Windows Device Manager:
Under System Devices is an entry for "StorageWorks MSA1000/1500" with the error "This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)"

Where to I attack this issue? Presumably, the fact that MSA is not detected correctly by the SAN switch is the root of the problem. How do I correct this?
This is part of an ongoing issue with the SAN configuration and Symantec BackupExec 10.1(d) errors.

Thanks for any assistance,
Barnaby Arnott
Gen-i Senior Engineer
Client: SDHB
Configuration: HP DL360 G4p Windows Server 2003 SP1 with hotfix 908980
FCA2214 STORport v9.0.1.18 - SAN switch port 1
MSL6060 through NSR E1200 - SAN switch port 3
MSA1500cs - SAN switch port 0

HP StorageWorks SAN switch 2/8
Zones: Port 1 and Port 0
Port 1 and Port 3
No other devices connected.
3 REPLIES 3
BarnabyArnott
Frequent Advisor

Re: MSA1500 errors: SAN initiator unknown, missing from zone, error in Device Manager and L&TT scan

Note: the Device Manager error has been remedied with an uninstall of the ACU components and an install of the latest 7.50 package of components

I am still concerned about the SAN switch not detecting and including the MSA due to it not detecting the initiator/target value.

Any advice welcome.
Cheers, Barnaby
John Kufrovich
Honored Contributor

Sounds like the event notification driver didn't load. Locate the MSA support CD. Insert the CD and let it autorun. You should get to MSA Menu. On the left side is a menu selection of event notification driver. Click to install.

Also, are you running Active/Active code on the MSA1500, v6.86?

jk
BarnabyArnott
Frequent Advisor

I had already installed the Windows Event Notfication Service.

Based on your suggestion, I checked the reg key for CPQCISSE and found only two SCSI devices enumerated:

SCSI\Other&Ven_COMPAQ&Prod_SCSI_COMMUNICATE&Rev_CISS\7&7f886ea&0&000

SCSI\Other&Ven_COMPAQ&Prod_SCSI_COMMUNICATE&Rev_CISS\5&12b8725b&0&000

Navigating these reg entries show two devices with DeviceDesc = "Smart Array 5x and 6x Notification Driver"

Does this suggest the Windows Event Notification Driver is not monitoring the MSA?

Viewing the registry, I was also prompted to clear out old device entries as recommended in MSKB article "Device Manager does not display devices that are not connected to the Windows XP-based computer" <> Removed entries included old MSA devices and storage entries.

There is now another change in the error reported in the L&TT scan. It now reads:
"Device not accessible - cannot determine class driver, or opened exclusively"

There is apparently no uninstall for the notification service, but I tried reinstalling the driver with the Backup Exec services stopped (we use a Backup-to-Disk option that presumably holds exclusive access). This did not add any enumerations under the service's reg key, nor change the result of the scan.
Can you advice if there should be an enumeration entry?
If so, how should I proceed? Presumably, I'll need to uninstall the driver and then reinstall in some manner that ensures the driver can access the MSA (safemode? with Backup Exec services stopped?)

Thanks for the assistance so far,
Barnaby