MSA Storage
1748089 Members
4981 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

MSA1500 monitoring with System Management Home page (VMware)

PPPP_1

MSA1500 monitoring with System Management Home page (VMware)

I have 4 HP Proliants DL380 G5's running ESX 3.0.2 connected to a MSA1500 via fiber switches. I installed the HP management agents (including the storage agent) version 7.9 on the servers. The agents see the HBA's (Brocade QLE2460) but do NOT see the MSA or the attached hard drives. I want to be able to monitor the MSA1500 and the physical hard drives use the HP system management homepage and the Insight Insight Manager.

Has anyone successfully done this? If so, please help.

I've tried agents 7.6b, 7,8 and 7.9 with ESX 3.0.1 and 3.02 with no success.

For testing, I installed WIN2003 on one of the servers and it sees the MSA and the drives.
6 REPLIES 6
James Muell
Valued Contributor

Re: MSA1500 monitoring with System Management Home page (VMware)

Ususally on linux on Proliant servers you need to start the acucli and then look on the Mgmt page. How did you configure your disks originally?
Astro2
Frequent Advisor

Hi Peter
See the README in attach (included in hpmgmt-7.9.0-vmware3x.tgz).

"For the storage agents to display the correct information for the Qlogic and Emulex HBAs, the libraries corresponding to the Qlogic and Emulex driver versions have to be installed on the ESX Service Console.
Please ensure that you run through these instructions ONLY if you do not see a link for either the HBA or the target drives in the System Management Homepage.
The following steps guide you through the installation for the corresponding
libraries..."

Hope this help
Armando
PPPP_1

I did install the newest Qlogic drives and folled the instructions in the readme. It still did not work.

I originally configured the MSA with the CLI using the serial console port.

I'm not sure how to enable the ACUCLI. I'll investigate.
PPPP_1

I installed the ACUCLI. The only controller it sees is the internal SAS controller.
James Muell
Valued Contributor

As i remember it...try

Instl 1.4.2.14 or later java jre
Instl the acucli using the cmd acucli -R
Inst psp
Open the management page
localhost: 2381
enter pw
There should be another link on the left to the ACU.
James Muell
Valued Contributor

I am still not sure what your config looks like. redundant setup? Do you already have luns setup for the VM instances? etc.

Not seeing the MSA may mean you have your controllers crossed or are trying to look at it over the passive connection. Looking from the back of the 1500 the FC port on the left must go to sw 1 and the FC port on the right to sw 2.

Attached is a txt file with some output from an msa using the cli commands. I annotated some of the information if your not familiar with the cli. Have you tried from other connected hosts? IF you reboot the MSA and host and can see the controller in slot 1 you should definitely see the MSA.
The only other thing i can think of is if the driver your using is supported by VM and MSA.