1753776 Members
7163 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: MSA1500CS FC-AL losing 2 redundant paths after ignite restore

CA567850
Visitor

MSA1500CS FC-AL losing 2 redundant paths after ignite restore

We have an Active/Active MSA1500CS (tech support dump attached) that was originally configured with 4 paths for each LUN locally attached to a RP7440 using 2x A6826A FC cards - single connections. We had a boot failure on the 11th and restored the OS from an Ignite tape. Afterwards we only see 2 physical paths per LUN from the MSA including the boot disk (unit 0).

I have been beating my head on this for 2 weeks digging through all the information I can find. HP support doesn't seem to be able to help on this either. They suggested I enable independant cache but I don't have a way of doing so. We don't have any Windoze servers with HBA, only my HP-UX 11.23. I also can't seem to find an ACU-CLI for 11.23 PA either.

PVLINKS seems to be OK since it can pick up 2 paths and I have set the vgextend successfully for that path. We run a process on the DB this server hosts and I need the paths hard coded for the 4 luns to maximize the I/O.

Any help would be great!

PS I know a cache battery is bad. I have one for the next maintenance window.

6 REPLIES 6
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

"2x A6826A FC cards - single connections."

Does that mean that from each of these dual-port cards you only have one connection to the MSA1500? So that these offline ports are normal:

Controller 2 Port 1 Status = Offline
Controller 1 Port 1 Status = Offline
CA567850
Visitor

That is correct. We only have one connection from each dual port HBA into the MSA. So those offline / online port statii are for the dual port cards on the 7440?

CA567850
Visitor

Here is a ioscan -fn detail of how the disk paths used to look.

Edit: that was taken from another 7440 but  the only difference is /dev/fcd0 is at 0/0/14 and not 1/0/6

Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

>> So those offline / online port statii are for the dual port cards on the 7440?

I would say that those are the statuses for the unused fc host ports fc in the MSA1500, but I suppose it's the same thing.

Why would it have four paths? I only see two paths to the MSA.

Maybe that's an HP-UX/PVLINKS thing that I don't understand..

CA567850
Visitor

Not sure but it definately had 4 paths somehow before. I can't seem to duplicate the settings on this server and the other 7440 never had 4 paths / lun. We did add a second shelf to the first a few weeks after testing it. The shelves have dual port cards that each go into the head unit.
John Kufrovich
Honored Contributor

If you are direct attach from HBA to MSA1500, the maximum paths is two.  1 per HBA port.  Impossible to have 4 paths.