5282 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: MSA1500cs with MSA20

Favad Ahmed 2
Occasional Advisor

MSA1500cs with MSA20

we are using fw 5.02 & 1.48
we have an MSA1500cs with 2 msa30 and 1 msa20. We have 3 servers attached to this via Mcdata switches. 2 are an exchange 2003 cluster and the other a windows 2003 file server.
twice in the last 3 days we have experienced problems with the msa1500cs losing 2 volumes (1 satat 1 scsi) - this is resovled by a cold reboot of the msa1500cs and the attached enclosures.
anyone seeing this or resolved it?
thanks
5 REPLIES 5
James Muell
Valued Contributor

What HBAs are you using? Did you have a controller failover?
Favad Ahmed 2
Occasional Advisor

i am using emulex lp1050's and the controllers are in failover
James Muell
Valued Contributor

You previously said it this happened twice. Did a controller failover occur both times?
Do you have SSP Enabled in the ACU on the all the LUNS?

Did you notice any storage related events in the host event log? Could the passive cluster node see these luns?
Favad Ahmed 2
Occasional Advisor

The events described are not preceeded by a controller failover.
SSP is enabled on ALL luns on the msa1500cs.
The passive node cannot see the LUNs.
The cluster nodes may have events that indicate that there is a performance problem - along the lines of delayed write events to the disks
James Muell
Valued Contributor

Was this setup running fine before the FO's? Did you update or upgrade anything prior to this happening? You've probably already been through all that but coming in new to the problem I thought I would ask.
Two other things:
1. I know in the past the MSA1000 has had some performance related issues. You might have to check through some of the HP Advisories, give that the MSA1500 controller is the same as the MSA1000 except with different firmware. Those issues had to do with apps that were producing high IO to the storage device.

2. Per a document I recently received from my HP Storage contact, the Firmware code version 5.02 does not yet support MC Clustering. To my knowledge its not on the MS WHQL certification.
Thats about all i can think of except to check to see if your HBA drivers are compatible.