108760 Solutions
New Discussion

MSA20 convert to iSCSI?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jacob W Anderson
Occasional Advisor

MSA20 convert to iSCSI?

I have an MSA20 with 12x500 directly attached to a DL380 on a 6i controller.

I would like to move that MSA20 over to iSCSI and replace the DL380 with a new server.

Is this possible and what iSCSI controller shelf would you recomment?

This is a 100% windows 2008 environment.

There are 3 logical drives configured on the MSA20.

Thanks!

-- Jake

5 REPLIES 5
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: MSA20 convert to iSCSI?

It depends on your needs, but have a look at the P2000 G3 array - iSCSI options are available. Alternative solution could be a P4000.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Jacob W Anderson
Occasional Advisor

The P2000 and P3000 are somewhat out of my price target. The MSA2000i G2 seems more affordable with the type of drives that we have - 12 x 500 GB SATA LFF.

Can I use the drives from the MSA20 directly in the MSA2012 that is bundled with the MSA2000i G2 product bundle?

Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

If you can move them you cannot keep the data on them.

Jacob W Anderson
Occasional Advisor

that is totally lame and very un-HP-like. Every controller I've had, from the Generation 6 Adaptecs all the way to the P series today have been able to take drives from one controller to another. Grrr that I can't do it this time.

Is there any software or service from HP that would be able to migrate all 6TB of data that I have on the MSA20 to a new MSA or P series iSCSI device, even of the same size. I don't even care about expanding the array yet, just getting it off the DASD configuration...

Thanks for all of your advice! It certainly has saved me from buying the wrong appliance. I already found a refurbished P2000 with FC that will work for me and under $5k.

Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi, the MSA2000/P2000 are not made by HP, they are rebranded.

As for copying the data, what OS are you on? Wouldn't you be able to keep the MSA20 to the server, get the new array, present the LUN to the server. Shut down all services so that nothing uses disks on the MSA20 and copy everything over to the new LUN?

There might be applications that let you do some kind of host-side mirroring but I do not know their names. But I believe symantec has a software that does something similar to this.