1752280 Members
4456 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: MSA2012i VSS hardware providers for Windows 2008 X64

sean anderson
Occasional Advisor

MSA2012i VSS hardware providers for Windows 2008 X64

I am running backup exec 12.5 on a windows 2008 X64 server. When I attempt to backup a volume on a file server running windows 2008 X64 the backup fails with the following message on the backup exec server:
capivssprovider: OnLoad(): Cann't find any HBA or Networking Controller. Event ID 1

AND

Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Error calling a routine on a Shadow Copy Provider {bd04cbf9-212c-4553-9ea5-c5bfb05ccc8f}. Routine details IVssProviderNotifications::OnLoad .

The backup server is using a Qlogic 4062C HBA. On both machines I have installed the capiProxy, VSS hardware provider and VDS Hardware provider.

What am I doing wrong?
3 REPLIES 3
Erwin Asilom

Hi, have you rectified this issue? we are having the same problem about the error:

capivssprovider: OnLoad(): Cann't find any HBA or Networking Controller. Event ID 1

error occurs every 12mn every day..
sean anderson
Occasional Advisor

Yes we did resolve it to some degree but I am not sure why it is resolved.

We had a qlogic HBA installed in the server. By removing the HBA and using an iscsi TOE nic with all the accerlation turned off we are now able to see 2.5GB/Min throughput on the LAN side. However, if we try to mount a snapshot to perform the backup we get less than 100MB/min.

It is a mixed bag, we did solve the immediate issue but the next issue has some issues. I wish we could perform a VSS based backup with high performance but I will settle for network based backups that rock for the time being.

Erwin Asilom

thank you for the info sean, I guess i have to inquire w/ hp about our problem on capivssprovider..