7286 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

MSA2012i - effects of using same subnet for both failover pairs

Zouleous
Occasional Contributor

MSA2012i - effects of using same subnet for both failover pairs

IP Address scheme for the controller pair

The MSA2012i uses port 0 of each controller as one failover pair, and port 1 of each controller as a second failover pair. Therefore, port 0 of each controller must be in the same subnet, and port 1 of each controller should be in a second subnet. For example:

Controller A port 0: 10.10.10.100

Controller A port 1: 10.11.10.120

Controller B port 0: 10.10.10.110

Controller B port 1: 10.11.10.130

That is the information I found in the documentation.  I notice it says port 1 of each controller SHOULD be in a second subnet.  Can anyone explain why this is important and what effect it would have if I was to put everything in one subnet.  I do have them on different switches, but the switches are linked.  Thank you.

4 REPLIES 4
Zouleous
Occasional Contributor

Re: MSA2012i - effects of using same subnet for both failover pairs

Just to be clear I would like to have them connected the way the documentation suggests.  I have to come up with a good reason to convince my network guys that it is necessary.  Right now I don't know enough to make a good arguement.

Kenneth Carlile
Advisor

I struggled with this myself, and I think the best answer is that if something on a single iSCSI subnet goes berserk and starts broadcasting like crazy (namely a broadcast storm), the whole shebang goes down. On the other hand, if you've got two networks, while you lose one network to something like that, the other will stay up--even if the subnets are routed to each other. 

Zouleous
Occasional Contributor

So it doesn't affect the functionality of it then?  It's just to protect you from issues on that subnet?  I think I'm going to have a hard time convincing our network guys to set up another iscsi subnet for that reasoning unformately.

Does anyone else know of any other reasoning?  Thanks.

Zouleous
Occasional Contributor

this was the only reasoning I ever found:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;175767