7914 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion

MSA2040 SAN Controller failure

DDESROCHE
Occasional Visitor

MSA2040 SAN Controller failure

Hi everyone,

First of all, I'm not an expert when it comes to HP Storage, I'm a networker myself. I have what appears to be a failed controller on on an enlcosure. Correct me if I'm wrong, there are 2 controllers (A and B), that are connecting 4 encosures we have. Controller B seems to have failed. The SAN is still functioning, but we have no redundancy. I have reboot controller B, but it still did not come back up. I'm not quite sure where to go from here. The product is out of warranty, so I'm not quite sure where to go from here. Where should I go from here?

1 REPLY 1
HPSDMike
HPE Pro

Re: MSA2040 SAN Controller failure

You really should consider opening a support case even if it means paying time and material costs. The support representative should be able to help you with that. Anything else is just going to be trial and error on your part. If you truly have a bad controller then you'd need to source another one from somewhere and install it. If not done properly, you risk bringing the array down and/or data loss. So, it really depends how critical the system is to you and how valuable the data. 

Sometimes an orderly shutdown of the system, reseating both controller modules, and bringing the system back up can do the trick but you'd need to schedule some hosts downtime to do this. 

If you decide to replace the controller, instructions can be found here 

http://h20565.www2.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?sp4ts.oid=3971478&docLocale=en_US&docId=emr_na-c03793459

I work for HPE. The comments in this post are my own and do not represent an official reply from the company. No warranty or guarantees of any kind are expressed in my reply.

Accept or Kudo