MSA2040-add tier licence error while adding pool

SOLVED
Go to solution
Ehermouet
Occasional Advisor

MSA2040-add tier licence error while adding pool

Hello

we have MSA 2040 and 2 controller.

I have Virtual pool installed, on B with free read cache function.

I want to add another pool on A, but system said that i must add licence...

i don't know if i forgot something or don't do the good step.

i try too add pool with group disk ? 

Moderator Message: This post was moved as a new topic from the following old discussion.

7 REPLIES 7

Re: MSA2040 Storage Tiering - possible to create multiple pools?

In Pool B it looks like there are two Virtual DIsk Group. Out of them one is used as Read Cache so that one created with SSD drive. What about other VDG ?

Now in Pool A what type of drive you want to use to create new Virtual Disk Group ? is it SAS drives or SSD ?

Can you please provide me the below output,

# show disks

# show pools

# show disk-groups

You cannot create virtual disk groups that contain SSDs without the Performance tier license. You can have SSDs in a fault tolerant Disk Group as a Performance Tier or as a non-fault tolerant (up to 2 disks) Disk Group as Read Cache. But neither pool can have both a Performance Tier and a Read Cache. For example, pool A can have a Performance Tier and pool B can have a Read Cache.

Note any license required for the System level and it's not specific to any Pool.

You must have tried to create VDG and got error because there is bydefault two Pools exist. If you are unable to see another Pool that's because there is no VDG exist for that Pool.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!

***********************************************************************************

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
Ehermouet
Occasional Advisor

first tks for reply

See attachement for command

so we have 8 avalaible disks and 1 ssd. I want to create new pool with this 8 disks, and add read cache with ssd to this pool.

Thanks for providing the outputs.

Are you not able to create new Virtual Disk Group with all 8 SAS drives ? at the time of VDG creation you need to select Pool A where you want to associate this new VDG.

After that you can create SSD Read-cache VDG with the available SSD drive and associate it with Pool A

If you are getting any error then please share the screenshot.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

***********************************************************************************

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
Ehermouet
Occasional Advisor

Hello

yes i try to add new pool on A.. see attachement

Solution

I can think of two possibility or workaround here,

1> Remove the un-used SSD half of the slot and then try to create the Virtual DIsk Group with SAS drives as you want in Pool A. It's possible that Controller is thinking SSD drive available in system without Performance Tier License so it's not allowing to create new VDG. So after you create the new VDG in Pool A then insert the SSD and try to configure SSD read-cache

2> Delete the existing SSD read-cache VDG from Pool B and then remove all SSD drives half of each slot. Then try to create the Virtual DIsk Group with SAS drives as you want in Pool A. After you create the new VDG in Pool A then insert back both SSD and try to configure SSD read-cache one in Pool A and another for Pool B

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
Ehermouet
Occasional Advisor

tks so much it's work

i remove cache from pool B, next create virtual storage and add cache to pool A and B

tks so so much

Nice to know that your issue got resolved. Kindly mark this forum as resolved so that others can also get the solution who are all following this.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo