New Discussion

Re: MSA2040 to D2700 cables

SOLVED
Go to solution
nstojanoski
Occasional Contributor

MSA2040 to D2700 cables

Hello,

I'm connecting MSA2040 with D2700 and I got mini SAS cables but on the cables one side of the slot is on left and the other on right the right-sided is connecting to MSA and D2700 and the left is not getting all the way IN.

What am I doing wrong?

Regards,
Nikola
4 REPLIES 4
sbhat09
HPE Pro

Hello @nstojanoski,

Can't quite make it out from the image. If you can remove the cable and check for any damages or physical symmetry at both SFP and cable ends?

Regards,
Srinivas Bhat

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!
Note: All of my comments are my own and are not any official representation of HPE.

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

nstojanoski
Occasional Contributor

Here is a better picture. 

This happens on both MSA2040 and D2700 and with green fits and the end with red not getting in all the way so ports in MSA and D2700 are OK.

Should the cable be this way? I don't have a server with SAS port to check if maybe this cable is for D2700 to Server or something else. But according to partsurfer this should be it.

Main dilemma? I have wrong cable? or the cable is some bad replica or something?

Regards,

Nikola

@nstojanoski 

Mini SAS cable seems to be fine but this is not applicable here to connect MSA2040 with D2700. Please find below link and click on each picture to enlarge,

https://www.itcreations.com/product/31342

408765-001 - External Mini-SAS cable - 0.5 m (1.64 ft) - For connecting the Smart Array P800 controller with the HPE StorageWorks MSA 60

Please find the link and look for Cables section. You will get all details,

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=emr_na-c03820001#N11051

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

I am an HPE employee

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
JonPaul
HPE Pro
Solution

It appears that you might be getting caught on the cable retention latch.  Have you tried pulling the release latch while pushing the cable in?
Initially Mini-SAS cables were directional, that is why there are 2 channels on each cable.  Each cconnector has a center line channel and then one connector has a channel to the left, the other a channel to the right.  These would stop insertion into a port which was directional.  I don't believe that the MSA 2040 or the D2700 are constrained to directional and I believe that interference fit would stop you well before the point at which you are at.   More recently mini-SAS devices are not constrained to direction and the port only has the center line.  Also newer mini-SAS cables have all 3 channels in the connector to work with any port.

I work for HPE