New Discussion

Re: MSA2050 Replacing failed disk

SOLVED
Go to solution
AB_FIDA
Occasional Advisor

MSA2050 Replacing failed disk

Hello ALL,

I have a MSA 2050 storage equipped with 10  SAS 1,2 TB 12G 10K disks, RAID5 configuration without spare disk.

Unfortunately, last week a disk gone in a wrong state because electric lines problem and message was about possible invalid metadata.

Steps were ask for disk replacemnt by HP and a new disk order for spare disk role; first action was add spare disk and assign it that role and it seems went well.

Next, iI replace the wrong disk with the new one from HP but no activity starts and that disk appear as "available"..... so what happened on my storage, at the end i can see just only 9 disks up and running but how can I put into diskgroup the missing disk ?

Regards

Alberto

5 REPLIES 5

Can you please provide below outputs (please mask the serial numbers),

show disk-groups

show disks

If the replaced drive shows as "Available" which means still its not configured as Spare drive. So suggest you to follow the below steps and configure Global Spare,

To add global spares
1. In the Pools topic, select Action > Manage Spares. The Manage Spares panel displays.
2. In the Add New Spares section, click on available disks to select them.
3. Click Add Spares. The system updates the global spares and a confirmation panel displays.
4. To close the confirmation panel, click OK.

After you configure Global Spare then only disk-group rebuild will start.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

I am an HPE employee

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
AB_FIDA
Occasional Advisor

Hello,

thanks for your prompt reply.
Below you can see our data.

Regards
Alberto

DG-R5-1200  9,5TB 7350,0GB A    Standard 100        A   RAID5  9     FTOL                       512n      OK

1.1        HP       HPD1  SAS         VIRTUAL POOL       10              1200,2GB 512n       DG-R5-1200  A    Standard OK

1.2        HP       HPD2  SAS         AVAIL                       10              1200,2GB 512n                                     Standard OK

1.3        HP       HPD1  SAS         VIRTUAL POOL       10              1200,2GB 512n       DG-R5-1200  A    Standard OK

1.4        HP       HPD1  SAS         VIRTUAL POOL       10              1200,2GB 512n       DG-R5-1200  A    Standard OK

1.5       HP       HPD1  SAS         VIRTUAL POOL       10              1200,2GB 512n       DG-R5-1200  A    Standard OK

1.6        HP       HPD1  SAS         VIRTUAL POOL       10              1200,2GB 512n       DG-R5-1200  A    Standard OK

1.7        HP       HPD1  SAS         VIRTUAL POOL       10              1200,2GB 512n       DG-R5-1200  A    Standard OK

1.8        HP       HPD1  SAS         VIRTUAL POOL       10              1200,2GB 512n       DG-R5-1200  A    Standard OK

1.9        HP       HPD1  SAS         VIRTUAL POOL       10              1200,2GB 512n       DG-R5-1200  A    Standard OK

1.10      HP       HPD1  SAS         VIRTUAL POOL       10              1200,2GB 512n       DG-R5-1200  A    Standard OK

1.12       HP       HPD2  SAS         GLOBAL SP             10              1200,2GB 512n                                      Standard OK

Thanks for sharing this data.

We can clearly see that VDG named DG-R5-1200 made with 9 drives only and not with 10 drives. Your VDG state shows as FTOL which means it's perfectly alright.

It seems drive at location 1.2 was never part of the VDG named DG-R5-1200. May be it was configured as Spare drive only.

Next job is to configure 1.2 also as Global Spare.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

I am an HPE employee

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
AB_FIDA
Occasional Advisor

Thank you for your help.

I think there was a misunderstanding with HPE support assistant because she notice us about no  designated spare disk in our configuration whereas it was the one in wrong state.

Regards

Alberto

Solution

do you have any update or outstanding query?

Request you to please update on the forum so that everyone can get the update who are all following.

If you have no further query and you are satisfied with answers then kindly mark the forum as resolved.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

I am an HPE employee

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo