Re: MSA2050

so sorry for long time ti replay

i made two pool

pool A raid 10

Pooll B Raid 5

and one hdd as spare

the question:

1: if one of controller fail does the second will take care of both pool

2: the spare disk will be spare for two pool? or i need to had spare hdd for eatch poll

thanks

@Tonyissa87 

To answer your questions,

1: if one of controller fail does the second will take care of both pool

>> Yes if one controller fail then other controller will take care of the VDGs part of failed controller

2: the spare disk will be spare for two pool? or i need to had spare hdd for eatch poll

>> Spare gets configured at the system level. It's not for any Pool or VDG. So if you have Global spare or Dynamic spare configured then anywhere if drive failed and similar applicable drive already configured as spare then it will participate in reconstruction.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

I am an HPE employee

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
Tonyissa87
Advisor

You mean that when I configure the spare disk I must tell the system which pool or VDG the separate dive belong to??

@Tonyissa87 

No I am saying you need to configure the drive as spare for the entire MSA. It's not specific for any Pool or VDG because in Virtual  Array there is no concept of dedicated spare. We have only Global spare and Dynamic Spare option.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

I am an HPE employee

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
Tonyissa87
Advisor

Hello

sorry for more question......

i make 2 pools A&B

I make virtual volumes with Affinity (performance) for VM: (oracle-php-exchane)

and with Affinity (Archive) for (file sharing....etc)

does that true to keep performance od my SAN??

Thanks

@Tonyissa87 

Yes if you are looking for Performance for your volumes then at the time of VV creation you can select affinity feature as Performance.

Please note affinity feature doesn't mean volume pinning which means in case of affinity feature there is no hard rule that volume data will always move to some particular tier only.

In case of affinity feature if you select Performance option then this setting gives priority to data to be move to high performing tier. Not necessary it needs to be SSD tier only. If you have FC and NL drives only then volume data will try to move to FC tier provided FC tier having sufficient space.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

I am an HPE employee

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
Tonyissa87
Advisor

well done my friend

i use veeam B&R but it does not support my MSA 2050 to backup snapshot

do you have another solution to do this?

how can i monitor IOPS on my SAN?

can i do that from SUM or with third party application?

thanks 

@Tonyissa87 

MSA 2050 having snapshot feature which you can utilize to take volume backups. You can refer SMU guide to get details.

You can refer Page no 136 onwards of SMU guide and go through it. You will learn how to check IOPs from SMU,

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=a00017707en_us

You can also refer CLI guide and check all statistical commands related to Performance which will surve your purpose as well,

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docLocale=en_US&docId=emr_na-a00017709en_us

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

I am an HPE employee

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
Tonyissa87
Advisor

Thanks

I know that MSA has snapshot Feature

but my question is:

how can i backup this snapshot to another place using Veeam B&R?

or any third party app to backup this snapshot

Regards

@Tonyissa87 

Being an HPE Employee I can only suggest that MSA is already giving snapshot feature which is block level data backup technology. Apart from that if you want to keep data to somewhere else apart from your production MSA then you can buy another MSA and configure replication between them so that you can maintain redundant copy in other place as well. Now in case you have any issue then you can recover your data from the snapshot or from the replicated volume.

Regarding VEEAM I know they don't support MSA and why not that they need to answer as that's within their scope.

Regarding any other 3rd party application I can't comment because why will I give business to some other vendor when I know HPE have these solutions already available. However you can always consult with your Solution Architect or the designer who design your setup.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

I am an HPE employee

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo