MSA Storage

MSA2312fc - M110R28 firmware upgrade

New Member

MSA2312fc - M110R28 firmware upgrade

I cannot perform an upgrade of the firmware in controller A (M110R28). Controller B has been successfully upgraded to the latest version (M114P01)


I tried methods:

- PFU upgrade > hangs

- FTP upgrade > hangs

- disconnected all cables/plugged out controller B and tried FTP upgrade with only controller A plugged in and no other cables attached except LAN. Shutted down whole system and tried again > hangs

- downgraded controller B to an earlier firmware, tried upgrading it with PFU > hangs

- tried several firmware revisions for controller A > hangs


The upgrade just hangs with the message "Done sending components to Storage Controller. Wait for SC to flash code."

Normally this takes 5-10minutes. But it just keeps looping the 300seconds timer.


Is it because the issue exists on this firmware level that its f**ked right now ?


An issue exists on HP MSA2000 G2 controllers running firmware versions M110R25 or M110R28 that will eventually cause controller configuration information to be lost, with subsequent loss of management capability from that controller. Array management, event messaging, and logging will cease functioning, but host I/O will continue to operate normally. This issue affects the ability to manage the array from the affected controller only; if a partner controller is available, the array can be managed through the partner controller. Because configuration information is stored in non-volatile memory, resetting or powering off the controller will not clear this error. If the issue occurs, the controller must be replaced. This failure mode is time sensitive and HP recommends immediately upgrading firmware on all HP MSA2000 G2 controllers to a version more recent than M110. This is not a hardware issue and proactive replacement of a controller is not a solution. To avoid this condition, you must upgrade your controller to the latest version of firmware. Versions of firmware that resolve this issue are in the following table.



The MSA is already out of warranty... any thoughts ?


Is it wise to continue running with different firmware levels on both controllers ? (i can not downgrade controller B to M110R28  since its not available anymore on the internet, prolly due to this issue)