1751894 Members
5070 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion

MSA2312i - Increase Vdisk Size After Physical Disks Upgraded

PhilipHGray
Occasional Contributor

MSA2312i - Increase Vdisk Size After Physical Disks Upgraded

I've got an MSA2312i (firmware version M114R01) with 2 vdisks - A raid10 SAS array of 6 drives and a raid10 SATA array of 6 drives.  These are all LFF drives so the SAN is full.

I recently upgraded all of the SATA drives from 500GB models to 1TB models.  I did this one drive at a time so the array remained functional during the upgrade.

I'd now like to expand the SATA vdisk to take advantage of the additional storage space but can't see a way in which to do that.

The enclosure view shows 6 x 1TB drives but the vdisk still only thinks it has 1.5TB of capacity rather than 3TB.

Is there anything I can do to make this space available to the vdisk that doesn't involve backing up my data, deleting the disk and starting again?

I could do without that sort of downtime!

P.S. This thread has been moved from Storage Area Networks (SAN) (Enterprise) to Storage Area Networks (SAN) (Small and Medium Business). - Hp Forum Moderator

4 REPLIES 4
Mr_NKC
Frequent Advisor

Re: MSA2312i - Increase Vdisk Size After Physical Disks Upgraded

Hello

Replacing a 500GB drive with a 1TB drive one at a time is equivalent to replacing a failed drive. So when it rebuilds it is going to take only 500GB from the 1TB drive. Since vdisk expansion can take a very long time, your options are limited. 

Regards,
NKC

I work for HP

If this post is helpful, thank me by clicking on the KUDOS! "White Thumbs Up" below
PhilipHGray
Occasional Contributor

Hello and thanks for the reply.

i see what you're saying about the array recognising it as a failed drive replacement but all of the disks in the array are now up-sized - I'm just looking for a way of making that additional space available.

When you say my options are "limited" do you mean that my only option is backing-up and then deleting the vdisk?  Or is there some alternative?

I don't mind if the expansion takes a while as long as the array can stay online while I do it.  i can tolerate a drop in IOPs more easily than outright downtime.

Thanks again.

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

>> When you say my options are "limited" do you mean that my only option is backing-up and then deleting the vdisk?

IMHO yes, delete and re-create.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
PhilipHGray
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Torsten.

Its more a case of "confirms my worst fears" than "helps".

Nonetheless, my thanks for your assistance.