108792 Solutions
New Discussion

MSA2324i - Degraded Out Port?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Kelvin.uk
Advisor

MSA2324i - Degraded Out Port?

We have a degraded Out Port on one of our SAN controllers and also expericing slugging performance. Could anyone shed some light into how we can fix this? 

I have attached a screenshot so you know what I mean. Below are the results of the show system and versions console comands:

# show system
System Information
------------------
System Name: MSA2324i
System Contact: Admin
System Location: Server Room
System Information: Shelf1
Vendor Name: HP StorageWorks
Product ID: MSA2324i
Product Brand: MSA Storage
SCSI Vendor ID: HP
Enclosure Count: 3
Health: OK

# versions
Controller A Versions
---------------------
Storage Controller CPU Type: Athlon 2600+ 1600MHz
Storage Controller Code Version: M114P01
Memory Controller FPGA Code Version: F300R22
Storage Controller Loader Code Version: 19.009
Management Controller Code Version: W441R57
Management Controller Loader Code Version: 12.015
Expander Controller Code Version: 1118
CPLD Code Version: 8
Hardware Version: 53

Controller B Versions
---------------------
Storage Controller CPU Type: Athlon 2600+ 1600MHz
Storage Controller Code Version: M114P01
Memory Controller FPGA Code Version: F300R22
Storage Controller Loader Code Version: 19.009
Management Controller Code Version: W441R57
Management Controller Loader Code Version: 12.015
Expander Controller Code Version: 1118
CPLD Code Version: 8
Hardware Version: 53

5 REPLIES 5
HPSDMike
HPE Pro

Re: MSA2324i - Degraded Out Port?

Hello, the problem is on your SAS expansion port of controller A. Unfortunately, the information you provided doesn't provide enough info to help determine exactly what. It could be as simple as a SAS cable becoming unplugged or broken somewhere in the chain or, (more likely) it could indicate a problem with your controller A module. If this unit has support/warranty on it, I would call in a support ticket. However, I am assuming you are posting here because it doesn't. I would check to ensure that all there is a SAS cable plugged into that port on Controller A and that it is fully plugged into all the shelves that are connected to the unit. If your production environment allows for a downtime, you could consider rebooting the array by using the CLI "restart" command but this will cause an outage and you should prepare your environment accordingly. 

Note that I am not an HPE support representative and cannot provide you any official support. However, I'll reach out to you with a location to drop your logs in case you are interested in doing that. Have access to the complete logs may help.

Thanks

Mike

I work for HPE. The comments in this post are my own and do not represent an official reply from the company. No warranty or guarantees of any kind are expressed in my reply.

Accept or Kudo

Kelvin.uk
Advisor

SAS cable is connected with a green LED next to it on both Controller and enclosure 2. 

We already have an open ticket with HP, so far they have only examined our log files and they have come back to us saying they can't see anything wrong, so I'm now getting a second opinion.

We have some scheduled downtime to reboot the controllers. 

I've attached the same log files that HP requested to this reply. 

HPSDMike
HPE Pro

No logs were attached (that I could see). Please private message me the HPE case number and/or the FTP site that you've already uploaded your logs to.

I work for HPE. The comments in this post are my own and do not represent an official reply from the company. No warranty or guarantees of any kind are expressed in my reply.

Accept or Kudo

Kelvin.uk
Advisor

Can anyone else help please? 

HP support are being pretty slow and have not come back with anything conclusive yet. 

ScreenShot_102 Aug. 08 08.55.jpg

Kelvin.uk
Advisor
Solution

For future reference: IO module on Enclosure 2 was at fault (not the controller). An HP engineer came to site and repalced this part and the degraded port changed to healthy. 

enclsure2.png