5372 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

MSA2324i - leftover disk issue

lkomarci
Visitor

MSA2324i - leftover disk issue

Hi everyone,

I don't know much about storaging but I'll try to be as precise as possible. 

• Had a blackout recently and one of the disks 1.6 appeared as leftover. After some research I went ahead and cleared the metadata for the selected disk by SSH-ing to the storage and running the command.
  • In the physical enclosure overview health status says OK and it's said to be "AVAILABLE".
  • However I keep getting email notifications from MSA - "hardware impending failure" it says (event code 55)

https://imgur.com/a/oFcV6tI

EVENT:

There is a problem with a FRU. (FRU type: disk, enclosure: 1, device ID: 5, vendor: ATA   , product ID: MM0500EANCR     , SN: Confidential Info Erased, version: HPG3, related event serial number: A4301, related event code: 55)

EVENT ID:#A4302

EVENT CODE:314

EVENT SEVERITY:Error

EVENT TIME:2018-12-04 08:35:55

System Name: Uninitialized Name

System Location: Uninitialized Location

System Contact: Uninitialized Contact

IP Address: 10.37.3.131

EVENT:

A disk drive reported a SMART event. (disk: channel: 0, ID: 5, SN: ------, enclosure: 1, slot: 6) sense key:No Sense(0x00) ASC:0x5D ASCQ:0x10 hardware impending failure general hard drive failure Info:0x00000000

EVENT ID:#A4301

EVENT CODE:55

EVENT SEVERITY:Warning

EVENT TIME:2018-12-04 08:35:55

System Name: Uninitialized Name

System Location: Uninitialized Location

System Contact: Uninitialized Contact

IP Address: 10.37.3.131

I've been told it's best to just remove this drive 6 as it's considered to be faulty as well as drive 13 because they're available and as such not assigned to any volume.  The advice was to remove the disk 6 which has some errors (no spares left so it would be an empty slot but we'd avoid temporarily getting notifications) and set the 13 as an active spare. However the 14 and 16 are already active spares and MSA won't let me add the third one which makes me question this advice.

What do you think would be the best thing to do in the meanwhile until a replacement disk arrives?

Thanks all!

Chaz

1 REPLY 1
Navaneetha1
HPE Pro

Re: MSA2324i - leftover disk issue

Chaz , 

As I understand , there are 2 faulty drives (1:6 and 1:13). I would advise to remove these drives if HPE support has told you the same is faulty. MSA Gen2 lets you add 8 spares. You may find this detail in the CLI guide : 

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c01755995
(Page : 110)

You could try adding spares via CLI also . Please let me know the error message you can see when trying to add the spares. 
Since , I do not have complete details or logs , I have answered this question on best effort basis.

Please share the error message here or you may log a support case with HPE if any issues. We will help you further.

I am an HPE Employee

[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo