1753328 Members
4973 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: MSA60 Firmware

jkay1804
Occasional Contributor

MSA60 Firmware

I have an HP DL380p G8 server with a P812 Raid card installed. I have the array configured and working fine however my MSA60 enclosure is on firmware 1.50. Since it's on that I don't have to install the new backplane but I cannot figure out how to update it. Can someone give me some insight on how to do that?

Thank you for your help

P.S. This thread has been moevd from General to Storage Area Networks (SAN) (Small and Medium Business). - Hp Forum Moderator

2 REPLIES 2
apb
Advisor

It's been a few months since I've done this, but I believe this is what you want to do.  I've made a bootable USB key with both smart update CD 9.3 and one with 10 or 11 or whatever.  I think this only worked in 9.3.  I will cut and paste some blah blah blah and then pop back in at the end.

2.28 (28 Sep 2010)

• Implemented a Single Cycle Hold Detection (SCHD) fix for SATA drives.
  • Fixed an intermittent issue which resulted in MSA60/70 enclosures sending a BREAK primitive (sometimes referred to as a “SAS Link Broken” issue) to SmartArray and MSA array controllers.
  • Fixed issues which resulted in a hung I/O module with blinking amber LEDs.
  • Fixed an intermittent issue which resulted in MSA60/70 enclosures sending broadcast messages to the initiator, causing a temporary performance reduction.
  • Fixed an intermittent issue where the enclosure returned incorrect Initiator Connection Tag (ICT) information to the initiator.
  • Incorporated other minor miscellaneous firmware enhancements and fixes.

CAUTION: If the currently installed MSA60 firmware is less than 1.50 then you cannot update the MSA60 with this firmware.  You must first obtain new MSA60 I/O module(s) (IOM) to complete this update. If the currently installed MSA60 firmware is less than 2.00, then you must perform this update with only one IOM inserted at a time.

To ensure the integrity of your download, HP recommends verifying your results with this MD5 Checksum value:

b00a60846d203b844a94154dc7335706

CP013530.scexe

Installation:

Firmware updates in supported server-connect environments can be performed only in an offline mode using the HP ProLiant Firmware Maintenance CD (recently renamed the HP Smart Update Firmware DVD), version 8.50 or greater.

This component cannot be deployed using the HP ProLiant Firmware Maintenance CD and the HP Smart Update Managers Add Supplemental feature. You must instead use the USB Key option as follows:

1. Download and install the HP USB Key Utility (Windows tool only) from the HP Support and Drivers download page (www.hp.com/support).
  2. Create a bootable USB key using the HP USB Key Utility and the HP ProLiant Firmware Maintenance CD version 8.50 or greater.
  3. Copy necessary firmware Smart Component files to the following USB driver folder:\hp\swpackages
  4. Boot the server from the USB key.
  5. Follow HP Smart Update Manager on-screen instructions to complete the firmware update.

NOTES: 

1. Press Alt+Ctrl+F1 to go to the command prompt.
  2. Locate the following folder /hp/swpackages.
  3. At the prompt, enter ./cpxxxxxx.scexe -q, where cpxxxxxx.scexe represents
    the downloaded file.
  4. View the display. All firmware and software subcomponents included in the download
    are displayed.
  5. Press Alt+Ctrl+F2 to return to the HP Smart Update Manager utility.

---------

The later versions of the update CD/DVD did allow you to get to a command prompt, but the .scexe didn't work.  Maybe they changed the kernel they were using, I dunno.

So running the update will spew out a list of what firmware revisions are for the various components.  It'll say that X will be updated, do you really want to do this?  After that, just wait until it finishes.  I believe you would then want to power down the server and the MSA60 and then power them back on.  You can re-run the update to verify that the firmware is now reporting the correct version.

I was at 1.7 or something so I had to manually pull the IOMs and do them one at a time.  I had two, though, so you might not have to bother with that.

apb
Advisor

Also, I apologize, but I can't remember if the firmware update took half an hour or if it went pretty quick.  I know some of the SAS backplanes I've updated have caused the fans to go nuts and the thing to sit there for 30+ minutes looking like I bricked it, but then it finished and I was good to go.

The system I did the update on was a DL380 G6 with a P812 attached to the MSA60.