108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

MSL on Fiber channel switch

Marco Natta
Occasional Contributor

MSL on Fiber channel switch

Hi,
I've this kind of problem:

MSL6030 with NSR e1200 connected to two servers by a fiber channel switch 2/16V, I've defined zoning on the switch and nsr mapping as usual, and I am able to use it with a proliant server with fc2214 hba. On the other servers, equipped with lp1050 emulex (A7387A), I'm able to see correctly either the nsr and the lto tape in the msl library, but when I try to use it the device goes offline.. Please note that if I make a direct connection to the nsr.. everything goes fine.. I've tried any kind of firmware\drivers upgrade..

Any idea ?
Thanks in advance,

Gianluca
3 REPLIES 3
meloni
Honored Contributor

Re: MSL on Fiber channel switch

first, you can use the library only from one host at a time, if you have more host connected to the library, you should have an unique backup application that manage it, and allow only one initiator to dialogue with an unique device (tape or media changer)
Second, only the backup application can talk to the library, so be sure to stop any RSM, any insight agent, any other backup application on each of the host connected to the san
---------------X-------------------X--------------------X----------------X--------------
If everything is under control, you are going too slow (Mario Andretti)
Marco Natta
Occasional Contributor

You're right, I've forgot to say that the two servers are configured with BackupExec with the San Storage Option, and the rsm is disable on both servers..

However, I get the same problem using only the problematic server(the one with A7387A)with the other one turned off..

Thanks,
Regards
Gianluca
meloni
Honored Contributor

Would be nice to have a full report of the NSR just after the device goes offline,
It may be the NSR made a reboot due to some problems,
emulex need folowing parameters in registry: topology=1 resetTPRLO=2, these can be set from the lputilnt

marino
---------------X-------------------X--------------------X----------------X--------------
If everything is under control, you are going too slow (Mario Andretti)