1753481 Members
4162 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: MSL6030 does not show up in Selective Server Presentation

BR780099

MSL6030 does not show up in Selective Server Presentation

Hi,

Does anybody know how I can give my MSL6030 direct access to the disk for the backup.
Backup itself is running fine, but I don't see the MSL6030 in the SPP so I can't give him "direct" access to the disks
6 REPLIES 6
BR780099

Sorry I've forgotten some important info ;-)

The SAN is a MSA1000
Stephen Kebbell
Honored Contributor

Hi,

that's not possible. You cannot move data from disk to tape without any server. (at least, I've never seen it done)

Regards,
Stephen
BR780099

What I meant is that the actual copy of the files goes directly from the SAN disk to the tape. BackupExec itself run on a server... But now the data has to "travel" via the backupserver to the tape instead of using the fibre (via fibreswitch in the MSA1000)
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

You would have to present your Tape library to the server you want to directly backup, then you can configure those devices in your backup software and configure your backup job to use them directly over the fibre right from the client being backed up.

I do not think this is possible with BackuExec, though I could be wrong. NetBackup, the more robust Enterprise level software from the same company can do this.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
BR780099

I know that it works with and HSG60, but there the MSL6030 is available in the administration console (admin console is not SPP in this case). In the SPP the MSL is not available...
meloni
Honored Contributor

this function "serverless backup" is available only on ETLA library if you have the serveless licenses. I'm not sure you can use this function actualy with a MSL library

marino
---------------X-------------------X--------------------X----------------X--------------
If everything is under control, you are going too slow (Mario Andretti)