108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Master volume reverts to standard

SOLVED
Go to solution
MichaelGruber
Occasional Advisor

Master volume reverts to standard

Wondering if anyone else has experienced this or know why this is happening.  Have 3 volumes created from a single 22 TB pool used for my hyper-v environment.  1 volume is used for the quorum  which is set to 1G, second volume is set to 17TB and is used for cluster shared volume and last 4TB volume is used as a snap pool.  The quotum is a master volume, and I've repeatedly set the 17TB volume to be a master volume using the snap pool that is setup.  Everything works fine until I run a backup and once the backups are completed, the 17 TB volume reverts back to a standard volume.

Can't seem to figure out why.  Any help and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

4 REPLIES 4
Shivam1
HPE Pro

Hello,

What is the size of standard  volume seen after the back up is completed ?

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

MichaelGruber
Occasional Advisor
Solution

Volume size doesn't change.  Found the issue to be related to the firmware revision.  Reverted to f/w bundle version GL200R007, Storage Controller Code Version GLS200R08-01, storage Controller Loader Code Version 27.016, Management Controller Code Version GLM200R009-01, Managerment Controller Loader Code Version 6.11.20488, Expander Controller Code Version 3119 and CPLD Code Version 46 to fix it.  Newer versions caused the issue.

Shawn_K
HPE Pro

Hello,

Just so you are aware, GL200 firmware is unsupported and inactive firmware. Running on inactive code puts your data at risk. You can refer to active vresions of MSA firmware here: https://h41111.www4.hpe.com/storage/msafirmware.html

I would suggest you open a support ticket and find out what exactly is happening to cause a volume to revert from a master to standard. That sounds like an issue that needs a better resolution than rolling back firmware.

Cheers,

Shawn

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

MichaelGruber
Occasional Advisor

Moving to a new revision is what started this whole mess in the first place.  It's a good thing I had kept a copy of the old firmware.  HP doesn't really do firmware upgrades very well.  This was clearly an issue related to the firmware of the storage and the way the CAPI Proxy, VDS Provider and VSS Provider interact.