New Discussion

Re: Migrating MSA2040 to 10gb network

SOLVED
Go to solution
MarcoCho
Occasional Visitor

Migrating MSA2040 to 10gb network

Hello,

We have a MSA2040 with 2 controllers that have 4 1gb host ports each. What do I need to have 2 10gb host port on each controller ? Do I need to change the controller ?

Thanks.

Marco.

5 REPLIES 5
SahanaR
HPE Pro

@MarcoCho 

Hi,

You need no new controller,instead you can purchase SFPs/DAC cables  to upgrade to 10GbE host port support.

MSA 2040 SAN controller supports 8 GB FC, 16 GB FC, 1GbE iSCSI or 10GbE iSCSI SFPs.

HPE MSA 10Gb Short Range iSCSI SFP+ 4-Pack Transceiver
(Includes four x 10Gb SW iSCSI SFPs)                                                                        C8R25B

MSA 2040 10Gb SW iSCSI SFP transceiver
721748-001

MSA 2040 SAN Controller allows customers to create their own Combo Controller by mixing FC and iSCSI SFPs(1/10gb)

When configuring a combination of host interface protocols, host ports 1 and 2
are set to FC (either both16 Gbit/s or both 8 Gbit/s), and host ports 3 and 4 must be set to iSCSI (either both 10 GbE or
both 1 GbE), provided the Converged Network Controller ports use the qualified SFP connectors and cables required for
supporting the selected host interface protocol. 

Please check page 7 in  Quickspecs https://h20195.www2.hpe.com/v2/getdocument.aspx?docname=c04123144 

For MSA 2040 10Gb iSCSI configuration user can use DAC cables instead of SFPs.

For more info on DAC cables check page 33 in above link.

****Use the set host-port-mode CLI command to set the host interface protocol for MSA 2040 SAN
host ports using qualified SFP options. MSA 2040 SAN models ship with host ports configured for FC. When connecting
host ports to iSCSI hosts, you must use the CLI (not the SMU) to specify which ports will use iSCSI. It is best to do this
before inserting the iSCSI SFPs into the host ports.***

For more information on 10GbE ISCSI upport on MSA check pg 31 https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=c03792322

Hope this helps!

Thanks 

HPE Employee

Sahana@R
I'm an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
MarcoCho
Occasional Visitor

Wow, thanks for that info. 

Can I use the DAC cable with 3rd party switches (like ubiquity) ? They can also use a DAC cable and support 10Gb. Can it work or is there some sort of proprietary thing with the cable ?

EDIT: I forgot, if I use the SFPs, what kind of cable do I use ? Single mode or multimode ?

Thanks.

Marco.

Shawn_K
HPE Pro
Solution

Hello,

You can use the DAC cable with thrid party switches as long as the switch supports 10Gb.

If you use the 10Gb SFPs, they do not support LR (Long Range) which is traditionally used in multi-mode or single-mode cabling schemes. The MSA does not support a distance over ~300m so the LR SFPs are not tested with an MSA array. 

As mentioned, earlier confirm your options using the HPE Quickspecs page for the MSA 2040: https://h20195.www2.hpe.com/v2/getdocument.aspx?docname=c04123144

Cheers,
Shawn

I work for Hewlett Packard Enterprise. The comments in this post are my own and do not represent an official reply from HPE. No warranty or guarantees of any kind are expressed in my reply.

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

SahanaR
HPE Pro

@MarcoCho 

Your Welcome!

Shawn is right.

Sahana@R
I'm an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
MarcoCho
Occasional Visitor

Thanks a lot !

Marco