4364 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Migration of clusters from one SAN to another

Glonn
Occasional Advisor

Migration of clusters from one SAN to another

Hi all
I have several 2 node clusters connected to an MSA1000 (all working but have only 1 HBA per node)
I wish to migrate them to our new EVA4100 - this is on a different SAN fabric and has no interconnection to the MSA SAN. I do have a test server that has 2 hba's 1 in each fabric.
If anyone can shed light on a procedure for migration it would be apreciated

Thanks in advance

Glenn
4 REPLIES 4
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Glenn,
can you help us and tell which operating system is involved? I don't think it makes sense if, f.ex. you had a Linux environment and got a Windows procedure.
Glonn
Occasional Advisor

Hi

The clusters are Win2k or Win2k3, Quorum and data drives are all on the MSA1000.

Thanks

Glenn
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

You can set up the Fibre Channel switch zoning to allow an adapter port to only 'see' one port of each array and run without any multipathing. Then you could move the data with XCOPY or ROBOCOPY.

In another project we moved the cluster nodes to the new SAN and then did a simple restore from tape. The original data was still on the old SAN. This saved us a second hardware reconfiguration and the user could test his backup environment. I don't know the details of the cluster move - a colleague did this part.
Glonn
Occasional Advisor

Hi Uwe
When you say the cluster nodes were moved to the new SAN how was the quorum moved? Was it just copied and then re-presented on the new SAN?