1752795 Members
5881 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Mirroring two VA7410?

CA1022174
Occasional Contributor

Mirroring two VA7410?

We have two FC installations seperated by 100meters in the same Bldg; each site includes: 2XFC2GB-16B switches, 5XDL360 with dual FC2101 and one VA7410(10X73GB disks). To each switch are connected the VA and the 5XDL360 (Win2000-sp3, autopath+CommandView); each fc-sw from one site is linked to its partner in the othe site (via port0) and no other links exist between the switches so each server in each site could access the two VAs. Questions:
1- Do we need an extended Fabric licence for each fc-switch to be linked to the other one? Where extended Fabric is used?
2- When viewing the properties of the port0 (type E-port) on the fc-switch there are thousands of Encd errors (???); what that means?
3- Each LUN-X from one VA should be mirrored on LUN-X on the other for disaster recovery; could I use MS soft RAID1 after converting to dynamics? Is there another solution? And what about clustered LUNs where dynamic discs could not be used?
3 REPLIES 3
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

Re: Mirroring two VA7410?

Hello Mohammad,
1. as I know all HP OEMed switches are sold with all possible licenses already installed;
2. not looking into supporthow output it's hard to say anything, although the cause could be FC cable or SFP. Note that peer switch reboot may increase 'enc out' counter. But for sure you should not see any 'crc err' and 'too long' and 'too short' values increasing;
3. check Virtual Replicator at http://h18006.www1.hp.com/products/sanworks/vr/index.html . As I understand it can do mirroring, it supports clusters
Eugeny
BR734478
Advisor

Another solution to deploy, when the 2 sites are connected via FC, is to install Veritas Volume Manager (VxVM) on each relevant host.

Then you provide each server with a LUN from each site, and using VxVM you mirror the 2 LUN's on the host providing a mirrored site setup.

When the host writes to the volume the writes are written to both storage systems providing a high level of redundancy.

VxVM is licensed per server.

Regards

Christian
david5337_1
Regular Advisor

Flowing is my answer:
1.100merters distance doesn't need the extend license.
2.you need to add the E-port property;
3.you need use the HP mirror software.