New Discussion юеВ

Re: Msa 1050 SAS fan-out cable and options questions

SOLVED
Go to solution
CarlsG
Visitor

Msa 1050 SAS fan-out cable and options questions

Hi all, 

iwhere I can set fan-out cable option in MSA 1050 to resolve this issue? 

Now I'm using a fan-out cable mini SAS (PN: 808553-001), connected to 2 DL for future scalability

How can I acknowledge this warning or resolve the issue with the fanout option? 

Thanks to all.

8 REPLIES 8
Solution

To configure host interface settings for 2-port SAS controller modules (MSA 1050 only)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A fan-out cable can connect one port on each of two SAS hosts to one controller port, using two PHY lanes per port. A standard cable can connect one port on a SAS host to one controller port, using four PHY lanes per port. Use of fan-out cables is enabled by default.

When configuring the host-interface settings for a 2-port SAS controller module, the Host Ports Settings panel displays the current link speed, cable type, number of PHY lanes expected for the SAS port, and number of PHY lanes active for each SAS port. The number of ports that display depends on the configuration.

NOTE: Using fan-out instead of standard cables doubles the number of hosts that can be attached to a single system. It will also halve the maximum bandwidth available to each host, but overall bandwidth available to all hosts is unchanged.

IMPORTANT: Changing the fan-out setting will change the logical numbering of controller host ports, which will cause port IDs in mappings between volumes and initiators to be incorrect. Therefore, before changing the fan-out setting, unmap all mappings. After you have changed the fan-out setting and connected the appropriate cables, you can re-create the mappings.

1. In the System topic, select Action >Set Up Host Ports. The Host Ports Settings panel opens.
2. To switch to fan-out cables, select the Use fan-out cables check box. To switch to standard cables, clear the Use fan-out cables check box.
3. Click OK.
4. Click Apply to continue. Otherwise, click Cancel. If you clicked Apply and the task succeeds:
a. A processing dialog appears and quickly exits.
b. A message displays that the controllers are restarting.
c. The Sign-In page appears after the controllers have restarted.
5. Disconnect the existing cables from the controller module SAS ports and host SAS HBA ports.
6. Switch to the standard or fan-out cables by connecting the new cables to the controller module SAS ports and host SAS HBA ports.
7. Log in if you have not already done so.
8. Click the Home topic icon. The Home topic with the SAS port icons appears.
яВв If fan-out cables are connected to SAS ports that are configured to use them, fan-out cable icons appear between the depicted SAS ports.
яВв If standard cables are connected to SAS ports that are configured to use them, no icons appear.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!

***********************************************************************************

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
CarlsG
Visitor

Thanks for the fast reply! 

I will try soon and I give you a feedback!

CarlsG
Visitor

Hi @SUBHAJIT KHANBARMAN_1 in System topic, when i select Action, there isn't any option Set Up Host Ports.

Do you have any idea?

Kindly provide step by step screenshot of the SMU so that I can check and get back to you

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

***********************************************************************************

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
CarlsG
Visitor

Thanks, 

the storage needs a restart to change the host ports, i think it's automatic.

After restart, now the SMU see correctly Y cable without any warnings.

Thanks again for the fast reply and the support.

Good to know that issue has been resolved. Kindly mark this forum as resolved so that others can get the update.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
Paolo-Forner
Visitor

I have the same problem, but also having turned off and on again the storage and reconnected all the cables (STANDARD), tells me that I'm using FAN-OUT cables, but I've four standard MiniSAS cables (716197-B21 HPE Ext 2.0m MiniSAS HD-MiniSAS HD cbl).

And in the VE270R001 firmware there is no longer the option under System to change the mode from FAN-OUT to STANDARD port / Cable.

Help! Thanks,

Paolo

Paolo-Forner
Visitor

Good news: I solved by accessing the CLI using Putty and giving the following command:
set host-parameters fan-out off ports all

and then the controllers are automatically restarted.
When it returns online, everything is fine!
Hello
Paul