After configure my msa 2050
Now I will go with ssd drive..
for our company
We have 4 Hp dl 380-G7 servers connected to San 2050
Each server run esxi
I want to run only one server on ssd
It is oracle server
So what is the best choice??
1 : to install ssd on the oracle server??
2: to install the ssd on San storage but in this case how can I specific the ssd for only oracle server??
Note : oracle server disk group is on pool A
All three other servers disk groups on pool B
Thanks
4 REPLIES 4
ArunKKR
HPE Pro

Re: Msa 2050

Hi Tony,

From the MSA perspective, the only option to use just SSDs for Oracle server is by configuring Pool A using just SSD disk groups.

If you have a mix of SSD disk group and SAS disk group in a Pool you can set volume tier affinity to Performance tier.

However, the performance would be much lesser compared to all SSD disk group Pool based on your workload.

MSA 2050 requires a separate performance tier license to install SSDs and SAS disks in the array.

Installing SSD drives  directly on the server (assuming its compatible) would be the best option.

Note: This is just a suggestion based on the limited information provided.

While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo

Tonyissa87
Advisor

thanks

you said ((However, the performance would be much lesser compared to all SSD disk group Pool based on your workload))

the performane will be better how much percent compared to a pool with sas drives only???

whitch is best ? to make a diskgroup with only ssd or to put ssd direct to server? my server is dl380 g7

also can i backup the snapshot of my msa or move the to a server or NAS??

regards

Tonyissa87
Advisor

can i install 3 ssd with raid 5 on pool A (AFTER REMOVING SAS) SO I WILL NOT NEED LICENSE??

ArunKKR
HPE Pro

Hi Tony,

I do not have any figures around the performance impact and you might need to perform an IO meter test in both configurations to compare performance.
DL380 G7 server would be an end of support life product and you might need to consider that before installing the SSD drives on the server.
The volumes created in MSA 2050 using SSD/SAS drives will work only when they are installed on the MSA.
Snapshot is never a replacement for back up.
Snapshot is always reliant on primary volume and if the primary volume fails the snap shots will fail to work.
You could implement any back up software on the server to which MSA volume is presented to back up the data.

If the array has a mix of SSD and SAS drives performance tier license is needed to create SSD performance tier disk group and SAS disk group.
This is irrespective of the pool in which drives are present.

While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo