4606 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Multipathing to a MSA500-G2 non clustered

Adrian Ogden
Frequent Advisor

Multipathing to a MSA500-G2 non clustered

Hi

I would like to connect two DL380-G4's to a MSA500-G2 but without clustering. i.e. there is one system image on the MSA500 that either server would boot off. Normally one is active one is cold. Manually shutting down and turning off the broken server and then starting up the cold to restore service is my preferred option in this case.

I would also like to use multipathing to get better performance/availability. But I'm unclear if the above scenario would work and how to cable it?
5 REPLIES 5
Bostjan Kosi
Trusted Contributor

Hi,

You should install Secure path and use ACU to create Logical drives + present them with SSP to both servers. Just be careful never to run both of them at the same time...

For cabling look at the Installation guide that came with the High Availability kit...
Nothing is impossible for those that don't have to do it themselves!
Adrian Ogden
Frequent Advisor

I don't have any of the kit yet and I can't find any manuals online for the HA kit to checkout the cabling requirements unless anyone can point me to them?

Thanks
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Adrian/Bostjan:

The MSA500G2 has its own special Multipath Software. Secure Path is not an option for the MSA500.

See here for quick specs... http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/11956_na/11956_na.html

You need to buy the HA kit for the MSA500G2 as well for multipathing...
Modular Smart Array 500 G2 High Availability Kit (includes MSA500 G2 controller, MSA500 G2 4-port IO Module, Smart Array Multipath Software and 2 SA-642 Adapters)... 360229-B21

Will the scenario work? It should, just remember to never have both servers on at the same time otherwise you can corrupt the data on the shared disks.

You can even go about making an exact copy of the server by swapping one local drive out every now and then and especially after you make any changes to the system. The only differences in the systems would be the HBA id's, which is ok since you will SSP then before you finish the build and put it into production. (I hope)

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

That is, assuming you are using RAID1 locally in the DL380's.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Adrian Ogden
Frequent Advisor

All my disks would be in the MSA500-G2 as I want a "no disk move" config

Thanks