MSA Storage
1753536 Members
5775 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Need HELP expanding current MSA 2040SAS Controller Enclosure to MSA 2050 SAS Controller Enclosur

SOLVED
Go to solution
Chris_Katsaros
Collector

Need HELP expanding current MSA 2040SAS Controller Enclosure to MSA 2050 SAS Controller Enclosure

We currently have a MSA 2040 SAS Controller Enclosure - we are out of space and would like to expand our storage capacity. We recently purchased a MSA 2050 SAS Controller Enclosure. What I need to know is; is it possible to hook up the new 2050 Enclosure directly to the 2040 Enclosure? And manage the new 2050 from the 2040?

I was under the assumption I can use the OUT PORT on the back of the 2040 Enclosure and go to one of the host ports on the new 2050 enclosure. However, I can not find any detailed information on doing this. I would like to accomplish this with zero down time (if possible). If anyone has any experience doing this please fill me in. with a step by step. I don't want to leave anything out that can cause an outage or anytype of permanent damage. Thank you, Chris

9 REPLIES 9
SahanaR
HPE Pro

Re: Need HELP expanding current MSA 2040SAS Controller Enclosure to MSA 2050 SAS Controller Enclosur

Hi Chris,

I am trying to understand if you are planning to upgrade from MSA 2040 controller enclosure to MSA 2050 Controller enclosure? or adding MSA 2050 disk enclosure to existing MSA 2040 controllers enclosure?

If you are completely upgrading from MSA 2040 controller enclosure to MSA 2050 controller enclosure,please check the link below https://h20195.www2.hpe.com/v2/Getdocument.aspx?docname=a00015116enw (upgrade guide)..This upgrade is possible.

"

Please clarify and let me know if you any further queries.

Thanks 

Sahana@R
I'm an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo

@Chris_Katsaros 

Simple answer, it's not possible to expand MSA2040 SAS Controller enclosure with MSA2050 SAS Controller enclosure.

You need to buy supported drive enclosure for MSA2040 SAS Storage and then you can expand your existing Storage.

Please keep in mind that Controller enclosure and drive enclosure are different hardware. One use for Controllers and another for IO modules.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

I am an HPE employee

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
AshrafK
HPE Pro

Chris,

MSA Storage is a traditional scale-up storage architecture where every IO has to be processed by one of only two storage controllers, and it is not a scale-out storage solution.

If you have MSA 2050 SAS Controller Enclosure, the only way to expand the storage capacity is by attaching additional Drive Enclosures to expand the storage capacity not Controller Enclosure as expansion.

Moreover, according to data storage growth needs, you can add up to 7 drive enclosures. Either 2050 LLF/SFF Disk Enclosure. It is possible to accomplish without removing the storage from use with no disruption of service provided you follow the online expansion method.

HPE MSA 2050 LFF Disk Enclosure Q1J06A

HPE MSA 2050 SFF Disk Enclosure Q1J07A

Enclosures

Expansion Drive Enclosures

0-7 enclosures

LFF/SFF array/enclosure mixing

Supported

Maximum number of drives per drive enclosure

24 SFF/12 LFF

Drive enclosure interface type

6Gb SAS

For supported drives on the LFF/SFF, please refer MSA Quickspecs - https://h20195.www2.hpe.com/v2/getdocument.aspx?docname=a00008276enw

For the online expansion method, please refer MAS 2050 Best Practices guide - https://h20195.www2.hpe.com/v2/getpdf.aspx/A00015961ENW.pdf? тАУ page 48

Ashraf Khan
I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

Chris_Katsaros
Collector

@SUBHAJIT KHANBARMAN_1 

Thank you and thanks to everyone else for replying.

This is a brand new storage unit the MSA 2050 SAS Dual Controller, we have 2 other MSA's SAS but they are 2040 Controllers.

I will go ahead and setup the new MSA 2050 SAS Dual Controller unit as a standalone since linking it to the 2040 controller unit is not possible.

I have the new MSA 2050 setup currently going to the back of a HP C7000 Enclosure into a SAS switch. On the SAS Switch Level I have the mapping configured and the switch can see the HP MSA 2050 Enclosure. However, on the blade level I can not see the MSA 2050. The blade is a BL460c G7 - and a slot utilizing the p700m Raid Controller. I also have the initiator on the 2050 setup and mapped and the Blade and p700m Controller is "YES" for Discovered and Mapped. However, in the OS level on the HP BL460c G7 I can not see the MSA 2050 disk volume at all. What am I missing? Can someone please help. I feel like I am missing a step or something? Thanks guys!

Shawn_K
HPE Pro

Hello,

The MSA2050 is a 12Gb system. Unfortunately the P700m is a 3Gb Smart Array. Due to the firmware on the P700m you cannot connect to a 12Gb array. If you check QuickSpecs you will find the supported SAS Smart Arrays/HBAs that you can use to connect to the MSA2050 SAS array.

http://h20195.www2.hpe.com/v2/redirect.aspx?/products/quickspecs/15935_div/15935_div.HTML

Good news is, you are not doing anything incorrectly. You just need to get compatible hardware in order to make your solution work.

Cheers,
Shawn

I work for Hewlett Packard Enterprise. The comments in this post are my own and do not represent an official reply from HPE. No warranty or guarantees of any kind are expressed in my reply.

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

AshrafK
HPE Pro

Chris,

I doubt that the P class controller( 700m) is compatible with the MSA 2050.

HP Smart Array P741m - 4GB FBWC is the P Class controller that is tested and listed in the MSA supported matrix. Moreover, the tested/compatible P-class Smart Array controller works on Gen9 server hardware.

Please validate the hardware and software configuration on SPOCK.

The document contains information regarding compatibility and interoperability for a "configuration set" of MSA storage.

https://www.hpe.com/Storage/Spock/ 

Note:

In the unsupported configuration w.r.t operating system, driver and firmware versions for the hardware, you might experience unexplained behavior and results.

HPE might be unable to provide technical support if you use an unsupported feature or use a feature in an unsupported or undocumented manner.

Ashraf Khan
I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

Chris_Katsaros
Collector

Understood. I tried for the life of me to get the p700m to see the volume I created on the MSA2050 SAS Dual Enclosure and no good.

I am going to put in an order for: an HP BL460c GEN 9

However, The specs of the P741m look good but I am only finding the 2GB version not the 4GB version. Will the 2GB version of the controller be OK to connect to the MSA 2050. Or is it necessary to find the 4GB version? Which The HP Part# brings you to only the 2GB.

This one:
HPE Smart Array P741m/2GB FBWC 12Gb 4-ports External mezzanine SAS controller
Part #: 726782-B21

Thank you, Chris

AshrafK
HPE Pro
Solution

Chris,

The part number is valid and listed in quickspecs for the 2GB cache controller.

2GB version is tested with HPE ProLiant BL460c Gen9 for MSA use.

https://h20195.www2.hpe.com/v2/GetDocument.aspx?docname=c04545463&doctype=quickspecs&doclang=EN_US&searchquery=&cc=ie&lc=en

I apologize,  that's a typo in the SPOCK database, it is getting corrected.

Ashraf Khan
I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

Chris_Katsaros
Collector

Thank you all of you for your assistance in addressing this. And thank you for clarifying this is a type-o. I have been searching for 4GB model with no avail. Thanks again, Chris