New Discussion юеВ

Need an answer--Please!

SOLVED
Go to solution
G. Levine
Occasional Advisor

Need an answer--Please!

Hello.

I have 2 HP DL320 G5's running Win2003 Enterprise.

My goal is to cluster these two servers for file and print. To do this one of the technical requirements is SHARED STORAGE that is either: SCSI, or Fibre connected to the servers via a Host Bus Adapter installed in each server.

My question is this: What HP storage device(s) will allow me to complete my configuration and satisfy the technical requirements?

This is the final step for me and an answer from HP, or someone with practical experience with Microsoft Cluster Services.

Please give me the scoop...we do not need a Cadillac, the Chevy will do. Thanks.
7 REPLIES 7
Patrick Terlisten
Honored Contributor

Re: Need an answer--Please!

Hello,

if you need a simple shares storage, take a look at the MSA500 G2 (direct attached) or, if it should be a little bit newer, faster, better, MSA2012i (iSCSI). An iSCSI Storage will meat you requirements and is more expandable as a MSA500 G2, which only can be connected to two nodes. Sure, the MSA2012i is more expensive, but it will gave you an investment protection.

Best regards,
Patrick
Best regards,
Patrick
G. Levine
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the reply. I will look at the devices you suggest.
Patrick Terlisten
Honored Contributor

Don't forget to assign points to usefull answers. :)

You can take a look at this page for more informations about MSA disk arrays:

http://h18006.www1.hp.com/storage/disk_storage/msa_diskarrays/san_arrays/index.html

Best regards,
Patrick
Best regards,
Patrick
G. Levine
Occasional Advisor

I looked at the HP StorageWorks 500 G2 Modular Smart Array.

It seems like this will fill the bill. One additional question.

These Smart Array devices DO NOT come with hard disks?

They must be purchased separately. Yes?

What's cool is there is a High Availability kit based on this device that includes:

MSA500 G2 controller, MSA500 G2 4-port IO Module, Smart Array Multipath Software and 2 SA-642 Adapters--just no drives.

Patrick Terlisten
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hello,

you're right, no drives are included. The HA-Kit is additional to the MSA500 G2. You need to buy

- MSA500 G2
- HA Kit
- Drives

Best regards,
Patrick
Best regards,
Patrick
G. Levine
Occasional Advisor

Wow Patrick...

This is really confusing me now...

It was my impression that the HA kit was the storage array + a couple of goodies to save the customer from buying the HBA's and cables, etc. separately...

Are you saying to do this I need a $4,000 storage array, AND a $4,500 HA kit, and the hard disks ($1,000 apiece for the 300GB ones)

A total cost of over $10,000 for this is mad.

Do I really need both items?

Something seems wrong with this...

Patrick Terlisten
Honored Contributor

Hello,

that's right. The HA-Kit is only additional. You don't really need it, only if you want a higher availability.

Hey, high availability is an expensive topic, and if you want more nines after the comma, you need to spend more money. :)

Best regards,
Patrick
Best regards,
Patrick