Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help for SAN connectivity over a distance between 10-15 kms

Firoz Gauri
Occasional Contributor

Need help for SAN connectivity over a distance between 10-15 kms

Hi All

I have some query with regards to SAN connectivity within a distance of over 10-15 kms.. Heres what we are planning to do. We have location A to be implemented with 2 to 3 servers & location B with EMC storage & HP switch 4/32B without ISL trunking licence but have all 32 ports activated. I would like to know if I will require an ISL licence to have the two switches connected from location A & B. I know the part wherein I will have to implement a FC switch at location A...but I m unclear about the external connectivity part & the ISL part. If I go for a LAN network then will i require a Multiprotocol router at both the location so the FC packets could be send over IP or incase if i go for Dark fibre cable connection will I require anything else other than multiprotocol router or i would need a DWDM.. as to my knowledge DWDM is required for over 200kms distance...We are planning to have 2gig bandwidth

Any information in regards to the same will be deeply appreciated

regards
FIROZ
6 REPLIES 6
tharrold
Frequent Advisor

Re: Need help for SAN connectivity over a distance between 10-15 kms

Brocade switches will allow basic ISLs without a license. That's the easy part. :)

I believe that the long-wave GBICS for brocade are only good for 10-15km, so you may have to go with a DWDM device.

I'll be interested in hearing other responses. Hopefully others have done this, and will respond.

-tjh
Firoz Gauri
Occasional Contributor

thanks for your response Thomas. Just wanna clarify is the long wave Gbic the one which already came with the switches or is it supposed to be ordered seperately. To be precise how can I check if i have or not have a long wave Gbic on my switch. I got the part cleared on ISL thing...I can just connect the cable on switch ports & i can ISL both the switches I wouldnt require trunking.

My other query is with the External connectivity..
1) If I get a LAN connectivity I think I would need a multiprotocol router. Is it true?
2) If I get a dark fibre cable connectivity will I need a mux (multiplexer point terminated on both the sites. Is it true?

Once again thanks for your help
tharrold
Frequent Advisor

The long-wave GBICs are rated at 10km, I believe. Again, those are NOT the standard GBICs that would come with an HP resold brocade switch.

-tjh
Firoz Gauri
Occasional Contributor

thanks for ur help thomas

Any info on the below given question?

1) If I get a LAN connectivity I think I would need a multiprotocol router. Is it true?
2) If I get a dark fibre cable connectivity will I need a mux (multiplexer point terminated on both the sites. Is it true?
tharrold
Frequent Advisor

Brocade and Cisco both sell SAN switches that can communicate over IP, so you can pass the FCIP traffic to your WAN routers.

Depending on the volume of data you need to send, you may be able to take advantage of existing network infrastructure. If you have high data volumes, and latency requirements, you may have to look at a dedicated fiber solution. Gather your data, and have a chat with your vendors. (brocade, cisco, ibm, hp, etc)

-tjh
Firoz Gauri
Occasional Contributor

thank you very much for your help thomas
Appreciate it

regards
FIROZ