1752811 Members
6196 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: New HPE Tool - MSA Health Check

Ari000
Occasional Advisor

Is there anyway we can download the MSA log files through CLI? Thank you.

@Ari000 

FTP method:

Downloading logs to a file

1. In SMU, prepare to use FTP:

a. Determine the network-port IP addresses of the system’s controllers.

b. Verify that the system’s FTP service is enabled.

c. Verify that the user you will log in as has permission to use the FTP interface.

Or You can also try the same through CLI like the following,

telnet to controller

Run the command: set network-protocols FTP enabled

exit from telnet

2. Open a Command Prompt (Windows) or a terminal window (UNIX) and navigate to the destination directory for the log file.

3. Enter:

ftp controller-network-address

For example:

ftp 10.1.0.9

4. Log in as an FTP user or with admin user like manage

5. Enter:

get logs filename.logs

where filename is recommended to be yyyymmdd_ftp_system-name_controller-ID. For example: get logs 20080124_ftp_Storage2_A.logs

Wait for the message Transfer complete to appear.

6. Quit the FTP session.

7. If the problem to diagnose seems specific to user-interface operation (e.g., SMU or CLI crashes or stops responding ), repeat step 3 through step 6 on the partner controller to collect its unique MC debug information.

NOTE: Log files can exceed 5 MB. Before sending a log file to service personnel or uploading to FTP, you should compress the file with a tool whose output is compatible with WinZip.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

I am an HPE employee

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
Kipp_Glover
HPE Pro

Good day MSA Community!

Last week a new version of MSA Health Check was released - Version 1.2.0.  Version 1.2.0 is introducing a new SSD Critical Alert feature to the MSA Storage Health Check tool.

Version 1.2.0 enhancements include:

· New critical alert message if SSD models MO0400JFFCF, MO0800JFFCH, MO1600JFFCK and MO3200JFFCL running drive firmware versions earlier than HPD8 are detected

· Firmware inventory tab will indicate "Critical Alert" next to SSD models MO0400JFFCF, MO0800JFFCH, MO1600JFFCK and MO3200JFFCL running drive firmware versions earlier than HPD8

· New "Alerts" button in MSA STORAGE AND SUMMARY section to view the alert window

As well as the following version 1.1.0 enhancements:

· Added Storage Capacity to MSA Storage and Session Summary

· Reordered tabs, added unhealthy/warning action bubble counters to each of the tab headers

· Added status indicators to Unhealthy Components and Firmware Inventory

· Added Best Practice and Troubleshooting Guide notes and clickable links

· Added Controller Upgrade note and link to HPE Support

· Added Health Check Firmware Versions Up to Date

· Reorganized the list of Health Check items

· Reorganized the list of Unhealthy Components

· Reorganized the list of Firmware Inventory

· Renamed and reorganized the Finish tab steps

· Added serial number and date to the PDF report file name

· Implemented significant improvements to the PDF Health Report

The MSA Health Check team encourages any and all feedback regarding your experience with version 1.2.0. Please don’t hesitate to reach out to us at MSAHealthCheckSupport@hpe.com.

Cheers!
/Kipp

I work for HPE
Kipp_Glover
HPE Pro

Good day MSA Community!  

Yesterday, Oct 5th, we updated the external version of MSA Health Check to v1.2.1. This release added full support for the MSA 1060 & 206x.

I encourage all MSA customers to upload their log files and make sure their MSA array is completely up to date and following best practices.

Cheers!
/Kipp

I work for HPE
Server-Support
Super Advisor

How to generate the logs for the MSA 1040 Storage Management Utility version GL200R007 ?

Best regards,

@Server-Support 

Please refer SMU guide page no 138,

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=c04220794

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

I am an HPE employee

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
Kipp_Glover
HPE Pro

@Server-Support  On the home page of MSA Health Check there is a button labeled "Where do I get my MSA log file?"  On this page, there are three tabs for the different versions of MSA Storage Management Utility.     Each tab has video and text instructions on how to save the MSA log file.  I hope this helps.  

Cheers!
/Kipp

I work for HPE
Server-Support
Super Advisor

Wow, that's cool, many thanks @Kipp_Glover for the assistance and explanation on this matter.

Best regards,
ksumbly
Occasional Advisor

Does this also give insights and more details around the overall storage environment, throughput, IOPS, latency, existing RAID Group & Disk Group details, disk health etc. ?

JonPaul
HPE Pro

Hi @ksumbly 
Overall Storage Environment - some of it (Scrub enabled, Unsecure Protocols, Firmware up to date, known Critical issues, Notifications enabled, PFU enabled, Volume mapping)
Throughput - No
IOPS - No
Latency - No
Existing RAID group - not really (Check for degraded/critical disk groups)
Disk-Group details - no
Disk Health - yes
There are 13 health checks/best practice checks many of which fall into how I categorized your sections above.  One of the best parts is the firmware check and links to get updated firmware for both drives and system.  It's also a way to validate that your system is not susceptible to a known critical issue. New updates to the check features are published about every 6 months and firmware updates get loaded as they are available.

I work for HPE