108781 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: New and old (eol) storage systems

SOLVED
Go to solution
Lucavmw
Occasional Contributor

New and old (eol) storage systems

Hi everyone, I'm struggling to understand the current portfolio of storage solutions and differences among them. I would like some confirmation or denial ...just to understand if I am in the right path. At the moment I understand that the solutions can be grouped in:
- MSA (the most recent is GEN6): SAS / FC / iSCSI storage with active / passive SP and ALUA support
- Simplivity: hyperconverged storage for VMware
- Nimble: adds Infosight artificial intelligence to the MSA; adds support for CloudVolumes
- Nimble dHCI: supports vvol
- 3par is eol
- Primera: compared to the previous ones it also supports NFS / SMB; uses ASIC technology to make it extremely performing and scalable
- XP7 / XP8: has it been replaced by Alletra?!?
- Alletra: it is the most performing; integrates with HPE Greenlake

Ok I know I'm a little confused but I am starting to learn right now... I am in the right path? Thank you a lot! 

2 REPLIES 2
sbhat09
HPE Pro
Solution

Hello @Lucavmw,

Please find my answers in-line below:

- MSA (the most recent is GEN6): SAS / FC / iSCSI storage with active / passive SP and ALUA support
A: Yes

- Simplivity: hyperconverged storage for VMware

- Nimble: adds Infosight artificial intelligence to the MSA; adds support for CloudVolumes
A: Nimble is not based on MSA. Nimble is an acquisition by HPE. So, it doesn't inherit anything from MSA. Rest of the things you mentioned are correct.

- Nimble dHCI: supports vvol

- 3par is eol
A: Partially correct. 3par 7K is EoL. 20K is announced as EoL. 8K and 9K are still active.

- Primera: compared to the previous ones it also supports NFS / SMB; uses ASIC technology to make it extremely performing and scalable
A: To some extent Primera is the successor of 3PAR. Additionally, Primera has lot of advancements over 3PAR. Yes, it uses next generation of ASIC. But file persona features (SMB/NFS) are not supported in Primera.

- XP7 / XP8: has it been replaced by Alletra?!?
A: Some models of XP are phacing out (Not sure if all the XP line-up is EoL already). And Alletra is the new product from HPE. But they are not related or replaced by.

- Alletra: it is the most performing; integrates with HPE Greenlake
A: Yes.

You can refer each product's quickspecs and EoL statements for more details. Let me know if you have more questions.

Regards,
Srinivas Bhat

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!
Note: All of my comments are my own and are not any official representation of the company.

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

Lucavmw
Occasional Contributor

I like accurate and timely answers, so thank you