108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

No access on network but direct connect works

SOLVED
Go to solution
wiggs
Occasional Contributor

No access on network but direct connect works

Just putting a MSA2040 (SAS) in and when it powered on the management i/f got an IP lease from the DHCP server, other devices such as two DL360s and their iLOs got a lease around the same time. These devices are on a VLAN which has an IP Helper configured so connectivity must be right.. But, after finding the MSA controllers in the DHCP lease they can't be pinged, the iLOs and servers can! If I attached via a direct connect and set a static address on my mac say 10.0.0.20 I can ssh and open a web browser to the SMU. I can then change the IP/mask and g/w to the right range but when the controller is reconnected to the LAN can not ping or ssh etc?? I can't ping it from the switch that does the routing or the switch it is on, but the iLO and servers are on the same VLAN same switch and they can be pinged. Anybody have thoughts, I have tried another address in the same range, change the port to another vlan changed the IP to that subnet still no ping. Tried another port, nothing! Have had to configure with my MAC directly attached for now.

4 REPLIES 4
HPSDMike
HPE Pro
Solution

Re: No access on network but direct connect works

I gurantee that the MSA management IP's will respond to a ping. Something is funky in your network setup. If you plug your laptop into a switch port ont the same VLAN and give it an IP on the same range of the MSA mangement interface, it doesn't respond to a ping? 

Are you sure you are correctly setting the gateway and subnet mask on the "System", "Set Up Network" section and not the "Set Up Host Ports" section of the SMU?

I work for HPE. The comments in this post are my own and do not represent an official reply from the company. No warranty or guarantees of any kind are expressed in my reply.

Accept or Kudo

wiggs
Occasional Contributor

Hi Mike, thanks yes hence the direct connect working. I am back onsite this morning so will connect to the sae VLAN and give that a try.

wiggs
Occasional Contributor

Hi Mike, seems like a problem with the range of ports last configured on the VLAN, the on eI moved it to last night was in that group. If I move the MSA to a port configured previously, it is pingable and I can manage. Waiting on a window to reboot the switch and see if that solves the port problem as I have disabled and enabled a few times forced to other VLANs and back with no change.

Thanks for your suggestion and help.

HPSDMike
HPE Pro

Great, so sounds like you've narrowed it down to something on the switch; good to know. The MSA shouldn't give you any trouble with what you are trying to do. I would suggest going with static IP's on a permanent basis rather than continuing to use DHCP. Best wishes!

I work for HPE. The comments in this post are my own and do not represent an official reply from the company. No warranty or guarantees of any kind are expressed in my reply.

Accept or Kudo