7653 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: P2000 G3 - Unable to switch primary/secondary replication volumes

TomBaines
Occasional Contributor

P2000 G3 - Error 439 setting replication primary volume

Hi,

We are setting up replication between our two remote P2000 G3 SANs for the purposes of DR. We've got the replication working and can access the data at the destination end by either exporting a replication image from the secondary volume to a snapshot (leaving the replication volumes intact) or breaking the replication and mounting the secondary volume (leaving the replication broken). The issue we're having is that we can't 'reverse' the replication, ie. make the destination (DR) end the primary volume, the source (prod) volume the secondary volume, and relpicate the data from the DR site back (as we would want to do in a 'live' DR situation).

If I try and do this from the prod end, select 'provisioning > set replication primary volume' and select the remote secondary volume to be primary, we get the error below:

rep_error.PNG

If we perform the reverse, ie. at the DR end we go to 'provisioning > set primary replication volume' the operation completes successfully, but we end up with both volumes at the prod and DR being primary, so obviously no replication is occurring. My only option then is to delete both volumes, because I can't re-establish the replication.

I've done all the usual stuff, made sure no replication is currently occurring and there are no maps at either end - any ideas?

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
TomBaines
Occasional Contributor

Also, forgot to specify I receive these when I get the error in previous post:

Event:

A request to change a primary volume failed. (replication set SN: 00c0ff10f0d800001ecf064f01000000, volume SN: 00c0ff10f0d8000031cd064f01000000) (error code qualifier: 113)

EVENT ID:#B1336

EVENT CODE:439

EVENT SEVERITY:Error

EVENT TIME:2012-01-06 11:22:03

TomBaines
Occasional Contributor

In case anybody has the same issue by the way, HP Support advised that I upgrade the firmware on both MSAs, to the latest version which should resolve this issue, but also to keep them on the same version.