1753797 Members
8508 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion

P2000 G3 SAS and ESXi 5.5 - Unknown WWN

M. N.
Advisor

P2000 G3 SAS and ESXi 5.5 - Unknown WWN

I connected 2 DL380 G7 running VMware ESXi 5.5 to a P2000 G3 SAS already used by two other DL380 G7 servers running ESXi 5.0.

The P2000 G3 SAS is composed by 2 enclosures and 4 LUNS.

After connecting the cables I found 4 new hosts in the P2000 console:

• 2 hosts whose name is the WWN associated with the vmhba2 adapter of each new host
  • 2 hosts whose name is the same as the previous ones with the last number increased by 1

Is it normal?

I renamed the first two hosts with the names of the ESXi hosts and confngured the host mappings.

What have I to do with the other 2 hosts?

Should I delete them or shoud I confngure them?

Is there any documentation about this configuration procedure?

Regards

m.n.

2 REPLIES 2
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: P2000 G3 SAS and ESXi 5.5 - Unknown WWN

You will see all hosts wwn that the array discovers. By renaming you set an alias used for mapping. Assuming 4 servers are redundant connected, you will see 8 host entries. Use these hosts for proper mapping. The SMU guide has the details.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
M. N.
Advisor

Re: P2000 G3 SAS and ESXi 5.5 - Unknown WWN

Thank you for the quick answer.

If I see only 6 hosts (2 for the existing hosts, 4 for i new ones) does it mean that the old hosts are not configured properly or that the new one are not configured properly?

Where can I locate the SMU guide? I looked for documentation without finding so much about the SAS confnguration...

Let me ask for an additional clarification: if the current confnguration is not optimized, is there any risk to damage the contents of the disks?

Regards

m.n.