New Discussion

Re: P2000 G3 firmware update

SOLVED
Go to solution
Joshua Small_2
Valued Contributor

P2000 G3 firmware update

Hi,

I have a P2000 G3 that I am attemting to run the cp015395 update (current latest) on.

The unit is dual controller FC/iSCSI (only utilising FC).

Running the installer, I saw this snippet on the screen:

Firmware has been sent to the storage controller buffer. Beginning EMP update.

Expander Controller Firmware was updated successfully.

Success: Command completed successfully.

It looks, based on this, that it's "done". Alas further up, we saw references to applying to controller B.

It's been sitting on that for seventy minutes. The firmware installer hasn't crashed - I still see that windows "file copy" icon moving. I can logon to the management interface and see that controller B is up to date, and controller A is running an old version. There doesn't seem to be any attempt to update it at all. I can't close the updater, it's like it's locked.

Any advice on progressing from here appreciated.

13 REPLIES 13
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Hi, is it still in this state?

Can you access the web interface?

Can you see in there which code it's running?

Maybe it's just the updating sw that's hung.

The log files would be interesting to see.

Joshua Small_2
Valued Contributor

It was still in this state until a minute ago - in frustration I killed the updater application with nearly four hours of running and no action.
I could logon to the web interface fine. Controller B is definitely up to date. Controller A is definitely running the old code.

So now I just ran the update again, giving it directly the IP of controller A. It updated in a matter of minutes. System logs show an update, a controller reboot, back online. Now fully serviceable on the new firmware - but the installer again thinks it's still running in some way, despite the last line of the log claiming "success".
I'm pretty sure it's a buggy updater - I just killed it again.
See below:

11:46:00.250 Flashing Array to firmware version : TS230R044
11:46:00.250 Starting Controller Flash: this will take approximately 30 mins. The actual time may vary depending on your configuration.

11:46:00.687 Connected to the controller.
11:46:00.687 Setting FTP session max time duration to 90 Minutes
11:46:00.765 Logged into the controller.
11:46:00.905 File uploaded, bytes written: 32256000
11:46:06.599 ftp: socket disconnect
11:46:06.662 FTP >> File Transfer Complete. Starting Operation:
11:46:07.333 FTP >> System has been up for 327 seconds
11:46:07.957 FTP >> Checking component list
11:46:08.175 FTP >> mc bundle component check passed.
11:46:08.175 FTP >> Checking bundle integrity...
11:46:08.565 FTP >> Initial mc file integrity checks passed.
11:46:08.783 FTP >> STATUS: Updating Expander Controller firmware.
11:46:35.600 FTP >> Updating EC code. (bus ID = 0, target ID = 31)
11:46:35.803 FTP >> Firmware has been sent to the Storage Controller buffer. Beginning EMP update.
11:46:57.128 FTP >> Expander Controller firmware was updated successfully.
11:46:59.718 FTP >> Success: Command completed successfully.

Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor
Solution

Oh nice you got logs from the updater as well.

Sounds like you got it covered now though. I'd keep an eye on the logs of the P2000 just to be safe.
Joshua Small_2
Valued Contributor

Yep, only problem with the P2000 logs is my browser doesn't seem to let me copy to clipboard from them for some reason :P

On the first, faulty update, you saw controller B reboot, boot the new code, and nothing mentioned about controller A.

The only other thing I see is reference to a disk read error - I've just logged a ticket for a replacement disk. Although interestingly, the repeated "disk read errors" relate to a disk with an "OK" status.
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

It depends a little on what kind of disk errors it's seeing.

On the second update I hope you saw controller a mentioned?

If you want to you could go to tools -> logs and then you get a compressed file and in there is a store.log file that you can open in a text viewer to read/copy the logs.
Joshua Small_2
Valued Contributor

Yep, when I updated controller A, I saw a reference to controller A doing a restart, a reference to bootup with the new code version.

I'm offsite now, but I'm pretty happy with that as a reference to logs.

I'd still like to know if the installer is buggy in general, or if something unusual happened for me. My client is a Windows 7 x64 machine if it helps.

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

There are so many different firmware files and -formats, I'm not sure what you used here.

I prefer to disable partner update and use the *.bin (e.g. TS201R015.bin) file to update one by one.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Joshua Small_2
Valued Contributor

Hi Torsten,

As for format, I ran the Windows executable, and let its wizard do its thing. I'm not usually a fan of such a thing but the release notes heavily pushed in this direction.

Your post did point me in a good direction, I noted partner updated was already turned off on this system. It looks like the wizard expects otherwise and was waiting on a notice around the partner controller performing said update.

eddolle
Occasional Contributor

I am planning to update the firmware on my company's P2000 G3. We have two controllers and are running iSCSI only.

Have people run firmware updates often on this system? If so, any serious errors to report?

Is it safe to update the firmware with Partner Firmware Update turned on?

Also, I will be updating from frimware version T230P03 to TS240P004-02. Are there any issues updating from the current firmware to the new?

Lastly, I will also need to update the firmware on the drives. Am I correct that I update the controllers first, then the drives?

Sorry for all of the questions, I'm a newbie to the P2000 G3.