MSA Storage
1752788 Members
6214 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: P2000 G3 - only one Controller active?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Dienstleiter
Occasional Advisor

P2000 G3 - only one Controller active?

Hello,

I have the phenomenon that only one controller from the P2000 G3 can be reached in the network. Is it correct? If I restart the accessible controller, the other can be reached. But never both at the same time?

Firmware is last version.

11 REPLIES 11

@Dienstleiter 

Please verify both controllers management IPs

Open two command prompts from your management system and ping both controller management IPs. See if you get response or not.

You can try accessing both IPs through SMU and SSH together.

Both management IPs should be accessible always.

You can try restarting both management controllers together (no production impact),

restart mc both

Then try accessing both controllers together from SMU and SSH

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

I am an HPE employee

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!

***********************************************************************************

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
Dienstleiter
Occasional Advisor

unfortunately the same problem

Before the restart, only Controller 2 could be reached via ping and SSH.

After restarting via restart mc both, controller 1 can be reached again but controller 2 is no longer accessible.

@Dienstleiter 

Connect serial cable and login to console. Then verify IP address and other details related to network.

You can also remove LAN cables from management port of the controller.

Take one LAN cable and connect MSA controller management port to your Laptop directly. Configure your Laptop in same IP range and try to access the SMU and CLI.

If nothing working then you need to plan downtime and restart both controllers together.

restart sc both

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

I am an HPE employee

***********************************************************************************

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
Dienstleiter
Occasional Advisor

The

restart mc both

has helped. Now both Controllers via IP-Adress available!

But now I still have the problem. That the Windows server cannot initialize the disk. You can see the data carrier but initialize does not work. It is not an I / O device error. Anyone a tip? It is controlled in Windows via MPIO.

@Dienstleiter 

Good to hear that IP issue resolved now.

Regarding 2nd issue, you need to provide steps that you are trying and also need to share the error that you see in windows system. Try to provide screenshots.

If MSA volume you can see in Windows Device Manager then next part not in Storage control.

Is this a new volume or existing volume having data ?

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

I am an HPE employee

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
Dienstleiter
Occasional Advisor

It is a new Volume. Sorry but the Screenshots are German

daten1.JPGdaten2.JPGdaten3.JPG

@Dienstleiter 

You should have got "Initialize Disk" dialog box automatically.

You right click on left side where it shows "Unknown" and " Not initialized". Then select "Initialize Disk". It should give you "Initialize Disk" dialog box where your disk 4 will be selected and MBR option selected. Take action accordingly.

If still you get error then unpresent the volume from MSA and re-present it. Also you can un-prsent the volume and delete it. You can re-create and present.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

I am an HPE employee

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
Dienstleiter
Occasional Advisor

Hello,

this way:

You right click on left side where it shows "Unknown" and " Not initialized". Then select "Initialize Disk". It should give you "Initialize Disk" dialog box where your disk 4 will be selected and MBR option selected. Take action accordingly.

i tried. This creates exactly this error that I posted in the screenshot above.

Deleting the volume and re-creating it as well as presenting it to the server causes the same error.

@Dienstleiter 

I hope you have presented MSA volumes with read/write permission with proper LUN ID

Try to present the MSA volumes to some other host and check.

If MSA volumes visible from Disk manager then ideally block level looks fine. Next if any issue with format or initialization of that volume with Windows File System then you need to check with Windows Support.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

I am an HPE employee

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo