New Discussion

Re: P2000 G3 share LUN via FC and iSCSI

SOLVED
Go to solution
manuelk
Occasional Contributor

P2000 G3 share LUN via FC and iSCSI

Hello!

I wanted to create a new LUN and share it via FC and iSCSI. This has worked when I created the LUNs last year. But with the new firmware I can only select FC or iSCSI but not both.

I've read that it is not supported to connect a server to the same LUN via iSCSI and FC. But to connect one server via FC and the other via iSCSI should not be a problem. Or did I overlook something?

Thank you for your help!

5 REPLIES 5
John Kufrovich
Honored Contributor

Server 1 using FC HBA

Server 2 using ISCSI HBA

Are you asking if both servers can map to the same MSA LUN?  If you answer is yes,  Yes thats fine.  You will need to use explicit lun mapping.

manuelk
Occasional Contributor

Thank you for your help!

You are correct, server 1 is using FC HBA, server 2 uses iSCSI.

But how can I connect using explicit mappings? In default mapping, I can only select FC or iSCSI ports. If I select all the FC ports, I can only modify the mappings for the FC hosts under "explicit mappings" and vice versa. Did I overlook something?
John Kufrovich
Honored Contributor
Solution

Host powered down.

I don't know what your current mapping settings so, I'm taking the long route.

1). SMU, select volume, right click->provisioning->default mapping.  If the [] map box is checked, unselect it and apply

2). SMU, select volume, right click->provisioning->explicit mapping. Select the radio button, next to the HOST you want to map. add check mark [] map.  Assign LUN ID, select the MSA HOST ports that match your server protocol. Click Apply.

3). You may have to refresh the page for it to show up quicker.

4). Rerun Step 2 for the other server protocol.

What's your end goal for doing this type of LUN assignment?

Sebastian.Koehler
Honored Contributor

Even if you can do this using explicit mapping, this feature is currently not supported. Just came across a similar case. Ask support if this has changed in the meantime.

Regards,
Sebastian
manuelk
Occasional Contributor

Thank you very much! I forgot to remove uncheck the "map" checkbox under default mapping.

"What's your end goal for doing this type of LUN assignment?"

The hosts in our ESX cluster have FC HBAs, but for testing I needed to connect older hosts to the same datastore over iSCSI.