Re: P2000 G3 two vdisk with same name

SOLVED
Go to solution
Gwendling
Frequent Advisor

P2000 G3 two vdisk with same name

Hello,

On a P2000 G3 ( firm TS252R007):

I had a disk missing (fault light on) that was probably reconstructed on a spare and another on in LEFOVR state. The vdisk had still one spare availaible ( 2 spares initially) and is in production.

I tried the "metadata clean up" on the leftovr disk -> "error while cleaning metadata..."

Then i replaced the two disks , a reconstruction started on the vidsk (not finished yet)

But i see a seconf vdisk with the same name , with  two disks ( spares ?)

I want to delete the secondary vdisk (in quantine) and configure the two disk as spare.

i'm afraid because same name as the production vdisk and showing two volumes...

I'll wait untill the end of the reconstruction, but how can i go back to a clean configuration.

Somme screenshots in attachment

Thank's in advance

Gérard

11 REPLIES 11

You need to provide more accurate information like location of drives failed, location of drives was in spare, location of drive kicked in to rebuild vdisk, when you say drive failed then was it part of vdisk named vd01, etc

You can check vdisk vd01 serial number for both by running command show vdisks. From that output you can try to identify which one is your vdisk. Try to check from old logs and match the serial number of the vdisk.

As you have mentioned vdisk reconstruction going on for vd01 then yes you need to wait for the same to complete. I would also suggest to take data backup from volumes part of it. Once you are safe with data backup then it will be easy for you to decide on deletion of vdisk which is not required.

You can either log a case with HPE support for deep drive analysis or you can share logs with me in private chat.......I can try to help you as well

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!

***********************************************************************************

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
Gwendling
Frequent Advisor

Tank's Subhajit,

The faulting vdisk has a different ID than th original and has only 2 disks.

What makes me confuse is that the visk has 2 volume with ID off the 2 visks.

I send you the log and some more screen shots.

Gwendling
Frequent Advisor

another screen shot ...

do you remember when drive 1.6 and 1.10 entered into this system?

How you got these two drives? are they new drives or you removed them from other system and using them here?

If they are inserted recently then it's possible that both of these drives was part of some other system and you have inserted them here.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

***********************************************************************************

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
Gwendling
Frequent Advisor

The drives 1.6 and 1.10 have been inserted today

Both had the fault light on, 1.6 didn't shown at all in smu and 1.10 was  LEFTOVR.

Yes, the drives came from another system.

Do you think i can delete the vdisk ? ( after a valid backup of course)

Thank for your help.

Gérard

Solution

As you have mentioned you have inserted 1.6 and 1.10 today from other system so they are not part of this system. It looks like they still having metadata because of which you are able to see they show part of some vdisks. You can simply take out both drives as anyway they are not participated in the vdisk rebuild. They are just creating confusion to you.

Once data backup completed and you still want to use these two drives then you can delete the vdisk by vdisk serial number from CLI or manually delete the vdisk from SMU. Never try to delete the vdisk with vdisk name from CLI.

If you see 1.6 and 1.10 both shows as LEFTOVER drives then you can clear metadata from them as well to reuse them again provided they don't have any hardware errors.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
Gwendling
Frequent Advisor

thank's again Subhajit, i'll try to remove the 2 disks then delete the vdisk after the backup

@Gwendling.........

Can you please help us to understand if the issue got resolved or not?

If issue got resolved then how?

Also request you to mark the forum as resolved if there is no more outstanding query from your end on this issue.

This will help for everyone who are all following your forum.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
Gwendling
Frequent Advisor

Hello,

Sorry to be so late for the answer.

Subhajit was right : the new disk came from another MSA with the same (default) vdisk name. We pulled out the 2 new disk and the faulty vdisk with the same name dissappeared automaticly. I putted some new disk with no configuration on it and i could declere them as spare.

some everything is OK now.

Great thank's Subhajit !

Gérard