5553 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: P2000 MSA G3 SuperCapacitor Failure Question

Randall_Sol
Occasional Visitor

P2000 MSA G3 SuperCapacitor Failure Question

Hello all,

We have recently experienced the "Supercapacitor failure. Status cell 1voltage is too high (27). State: failure (12) (p2: 3955, p3: 0)" error in one of our controllers.
The error message only displayed once, and it has been nearly three weeks now without any other warnings or errors from that box.

I believe I've checked most of the other available posts on this issue, and most suggest to replace the controller due to the failed Supercap.

We are running firmware TS230P008, and would hope to avoid upgrading until we are sure of this issue.
We've connected via SSH and run #show sensor-status, and the controller+supercap cell in question report a voltage of 2.05 and a status of OK. 

Our supercap failure trigger is still enabled for auto-write-through as well.

So after that, our main question:
Does it still seem like we need to replace the controller due to a "failed" supercap, or was that just a momentary surge that we probably don't have to worry about anymore?

We'd really rather not have to replace if possible, but we don't want to sacrifice the safety of our data either. This was the first time we had seen the error (although no one had been monitoring the error list for a long time), and we've had no issues in the following weeks. The sensor-status says everything is fine as well, so we really aren't sure whether or not this was an actuall failure.

(Also as a side note, something we haven't looked into as much, the controller that experienced the failure has also been quite slow to respond via cli and smu, and occassionally hangs in a cli connection.)

Thanks for any help you can provide!

~R

3 REPLIES 3
Zsal
Valued Contributor

I would rather upgrade the firmware to the latest level - TS251P006.  Since the current firmware (TS230P008) on the system was released in Nov 2011 which is queit old and missing many enchancements.

Hope this helps!

Regards

Zsal

Cali
Honored Contributor

I have seen this Error multiple Times with the Old Firmware.

You should Update the Firmware first.

Anywhere, I dont think that the Support give you a replacement Controller without updating the Firmware first.

But you can try.

ACP IT Solutions AGI'm not an HPE employee, so I can be wrong.
Randall_Sol
Occasional Visitor

Hello all,

Update:

We have updated the controller to the latest firmware, have no warnings or errors, and a show sensor-status command returns all "OK".

Thank you very much for all of your help!

~R