6198 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Password recovery string on SAN Switch 4/8

Mikko Rinne
Occasional Advisor

Password recovery string on SAN Switch 4/8

Hi,

I finally got the serial console port working after modding a working 9-pin serial cable, but now comes the hard part; How on earth can I get my password reseted/recovered?

As I mentioned in my previous posting, we have two HP StorageWorks 4/8 SAN Switches, which also includes, among other equipment, an MSA1500. When I open a connection via minicom on linux, and in the boot I choose "Recover Password" option (option nr.2), the system is shooting me with this:

-----------------------
Press escape within 4 seconds to enter boot interface.

1) Start system.
2) Recover password.
3) Enter command shell.

Option? 2

Send the following string to Customer Support for password recovery:

Enter the supplied recovery password.
Recovery Password:
-----------------------

THE question is, WHERE can I find the real Customer Support email address, who could supply me with the correct recovery password? I've literaly spent last 10 hours for searching an answer from HP's website, but there's not a single mention about this, and that's umh, just so unhelpful.

I even tried to call Finnish HP's helpdesk and wasted 30 minutes, as nobody could help me in there either, they just didn't know what to do in this case of scenario.

So please guys; Could someone PLEASE give me some light on this, or do we REALLY have to start searching for another hardware vendor which has a lot more clear customer service matter when it comes down to heavy business systems, and not common PC problems. Thanks.

I hope everyone is understanding how frusfrated I am at this point (I've spent last eight days on trying to get those switches up & running, without any luck).
20 REPLIES 20
divakar.k
Valued Contributor

send a request to support@brocade.com

Mikko Rinne
Occasional Advisor

I already tried sending it, but messages are not going throught unless we purchase some short of support license. And in the end, this is a HP job, as they are the reseller, so when it comes down to brocade, they probably won't do a thing, except tells us to go to HP.
divakar.k
Valued Contributor

What is the FOS of the switch
Mikko Rinne
Occasional Advisor

It was 4.5.1 I believe.
divakar.k
Valued Contributor

Try loggin in with

User: root
Password:passwddefault

resets the password to default
Mikko Rinne
Occasional Advisor

Ok tried - didn't work.
BR844575
Advisor

Mirko,

option 1:

Username: factory
Password: password

Username: root
Password: Password

option 2:

if you logon on www.brocade.com under tool you can download the password reset utility.

option 3:
if the switches are under hp support, just log a call and they will do this for you.

rgds,
Oreste
BR844575
Advisor

Mirko,

option 1:

Username: factory

Username: root

option 2:

if you logon on www.brocade.com under tool you can download the password reset utility.

option 3:
if the switches are under hp support, just log a call and they will do this for you.

rgds,
Oreste
Mikko Rinne
Occasional Advisor

Hey Oreste,

I also tried those passwords; Didn't work.
And no, we don't have any support service agreement with HP either, so that makes this a little bit tricky (and no, I still don't have the email address on where to send that recovery string).

But about option three; A few days back I actually did registered my self to brocade.com, but I did not find any "tools". Once logged in it transfers me to brocadeconnect.com, and when I goto downloads -section back there, it says this:

"Our records indicate you have not purchased a Brocade Service Plan. Therefore, you do not have access to all firmware/software downloads, our Knowledgebase, or our online Support Request Tracking System. Please contact your support vendor for downloads and support assistance."

So therefore I'm probably not allowed to access the service, where "tools" section is located. Ideas? (and yes, I have entered both switches MAC, WWN and S/N in my profile)