1753500 Members
4666 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion

Powerchute UPS and MSA P2000

BigMajk
Occasional Visitor

Powerchute UPS and MSA P2000

Hello. I have installed powerchute network shutdown which shutdown VMs and host. IF all is down MSA P2000 is still going.

Is there a way to shut it down ? via powerchute ?

Now when I want to shut it down i must log via web -- tools  - shutdownboth controller. ?

Any idea ?

3 REPLIES 3
Cali
Honored Contributor

Re: Powerchute UPS and MSA P2000

Start an (putty) ssh script and use command: shutdown both

ACP IT Solutions AGI'm not an HPE employee, so I can be wrong.
BigMajk
Occasional Visitor

OK thanks.

One more question.  If all servers conneteted to MSA are down. There is  no I/O activity to disk.

Is it safe if POWER IS DOWN and MSA TURN OFF /not gracefully like shutdown both controllers/.?

-Can it be a problem to disk or MSA ?

- or  if There is  no I/O activity to disk. it is not importat to shutdown both controllers?

Cali
Honored Contributor

I have >50 MSA on Customer Sites and never made a Shutdown Script for Power Fail on the MSA.

The great problem is, what if the MSA goes Down before the last Server?

Than you have a realy Data Corruption.

Maybe you start the Shutdown on Exchange Server and than on MSA. Now the Exchange need 10min. to Power down and the MSA only 2min. While the Exchange DB is going down, the Storage access fails. > Bang

You have to check if all Servers are realy Power Off, Ping may be good, but for Database Servers it is not sure.

From the Manual:

During a power loss or array controller failure, data stored in cache is saved off to non-volatile memory (CompactFlash).

The data is then written to disk after the issue is corrected. To protect against writing incomplete data to disk, the image

stored on the CompactFlash is verified before committing to disk.

ACP IT Solutions AGI'm not an HPE employee, so I can be wrong.