108799 Solutions
New Discussion

ProLiant DL360 G5 and MSA1000

SOLVED
Go to solution
Gr8Britton
Occasional Advisor

ProLiant DL360 G5 and MSA1000

Please see the comments I added below...

We are a non-profit and were donated some used HP ProLiant Servers.  We also bought a used MSA1000.  I am using a ProLiant DL360 G5 Server running Windows Server 2012.  I am connected to an MSA1000 via Fiber.  I am able to run the ACU and see the controller and run the wizard to setup a 1TB Array and Logical Drive.  I am experiencing two issues:

1. When I go to SSP, it does not give me any options to choose an OS to access the Drive.  I can enable or disable but not give Windows access.  I am new to this HW so maybe I'm just doing something stupid? Here is what I can see:

2. I tried to connect to the MSA1000 Controller via a Serial-RJ45 cable (5188-6699) and update the firmware.  When I connect, I only get {#: over and over and have to kill the Terminal program.  Is this because a regular Serial to RJ45 is different that the specific Serial to RJ45z cable that comes with the MSA1000?

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
Gr8Britton
Occasional Advisor

Re: ProLiant DL360 G5 and MSA1000

UPDATE:

I wanted to add that I do have a problem with the Cache batteries, and plan to replace them soon.  I did not expect that would cause the issue with not displaying the OSes, though.

Link to Cache Battery Msg screenshot

Gr8Britton
Occasional Advisor

I'm going to try to figure out the CLI and see if I can set the ACLs that way.  I'll update anything I find.  Does anyone have any samples for reference?

Gr8Britton
Occasional Advisor

After going through the CLI, I found that the MSA1000 controller does not support Host Mode.  At this point, I cannot find anyway to access the Array/Logical Drive that is created.  Now that I have the Array and Logical Drive setup, how do I access this so I can save files there?  I can't find anything in the docs beyond this point.  Thank you in advance for help!

Here is the info from the CLI:

=> ctrl ch=SAN1-Right show

MSA1000 in SAN1-Right
Bus Interface: Fibre Channel
WWN: 500805F30001F730
Serial Number: P56350B9IN40IZ
Chassis Serial Number: 9J25JN71F56V
Chassis Name: SAN1-Right
RAID 6 (ADG) Status: Enabled
SSP State: Disabled
Controller Status: OK
Chassis Slot: 1
Hardware Revision: Rev A
Firmware Version: 1.16
Cache Board Present: True
Cache Status: Temporarily Disabled
Total Cache Size: 128 MB
No-Battery Write Cache: Disabled
Chassis Slot 1 Battery Info
Cache Backup Power Source: Batteries
Battery/Capacitor Count: 1
Battery/Capacitor Status: Failed (Replace Batteries)
Host Bus Adapter Slot: 1
SATA NCQ Supported: False

=> ctrl ch=SAN1-Right show ssp

MSA1000 in SAN1-Right

Adapter ID: 21000024FF022245
connectionname: Data

Gr8Britton
Occasional Advisor

I found the Active/Passive Firmware update to v5.30.B1200 and applied that.  After rebooting, I then got a Host Mode button in the ACU under PSS for the Adapter.  I selected Windows but the number below it is greyed out so I cannot change that.  I saved it but still don't see how I now access this logical drive.  Help!

Gr8Britton
Occasional Advisor
Solution

I figured it out.  For some reason, I had to change the name of the connection for the adapter then it all worked.  I can now see the 1TB disk in the Windows server.  Yay!