Did you mean: 

Problem after upgrading MSA 1000 firmware to v7.00 A/A

SOLVED
Go to solution
Haridas
Respected Contributor

Problem after upgrading MSA 1000 firmware to v7.00 A/A

Hi,

I have a MSA1000 with 1 LUN configured with 1.70 TB storage capacity. I have connected 9 different ESX hosts to the same LUN which is formatted as VMFS partition with several VMs residing there. It worked for me pretty well with single MSA controller. Recently I added another controller & upgraded the firmware to version 7.00 to make it active / active. I had followed the instructions carefully & made sure that the connection profiles were not set to "default". I set it to Linux. Before the upgrade, I shutdown all esxhost. After the firmware upgrade, I reset the MSA1000. After the startup is complete, I started the ESX host. In the VI3 client, the host adapter is seeing the target LUN. But the storage is not added to ESX. If I try to add the storage manually, It says "The current disk layout will be destroyed". I really need some help in getting ESX to see the VMFS partition without destroying the data in it. Any help is greatly appreciated with lot of points. :). Seriously, You guys are my only hope in resolving this.

Thanks,
Hari
3 REPLIES 3
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Problem after upgrading MSA 1000 firmware to v7.00 A/A

If you choose to 'add' storage', it means to create a new, empty VMFS.
You need to go 2 lines below into the 'Storage Adapters' section and choose 'Rescan...'.
In the following pop-up window, uncheck 'Scan for New VMFS Volumes'. Do the 'Scan for New Storage Devices', two times.

This usually gives access to the LUNs and implicitly mounts the VMFS volumes as well (at least it does in my environment).

If this does not bring back the VMFS volumes, something on the MSA has changed that collides with the current VMFS signature and you have to 'resignature' each VMFS.

The process is explained in the 'SAN Configuration Guide':
http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vi3_301_201_san_cfg.pdf

"VMFS Volume Resignaturing" on page 112. Watch out as there is an update at the end of the book.
Haridas
Respected Contributor

Thanks a lot. That solved the problem.
Haridas
Respected Contributor

Points assigned. Thanks once again.