1752866 Members
3927 Online
108791 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Problem with an EVA 3000 and VMware ESX 3.0

JUAN CHURRUCA

Problem with an EVA 3000 and VMware ESX 3.0

Hi
I have one EVA 3000, 2 ESX 3.0 servers ( with one QLA2340 each server ), and two Brocade Switches.
I have created two Port Zones and applied the configuration

Zone ESX1
Port 0 Controller A port 1
Port 4 Controller B port 1
Port 7 ESX1 ( Server name )

Zone ESX2
Port 0 Controller A port 2
Port 4 Controller B port 2
Port 7 ESX2 ( Server name )

I have created a LUN ( Lun number 1) of 30GB, masking to both ESX servers.

In Virtual Infrastructure Client - > Configuration -> Storage Adapter I have done a rescan but I see two LUN 0 but not LUN 1 (30GB). LUN 0 seems to be the controller, is correct?. Why can't see the LUN1?.

If I delete Port 4 of the Zone ESX1 and Zone ESX 2 and apply the configuration, I see correctly LUN 0 and LUN 1 but in the event of a controller failure I don't have redundancy. How can I get this redundancy?. Is correct my configuration with only one HBA and EVA 3000?.

Could anyone help me?.

Thanks in advance,

3 REPLIES 3
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

> LUN 0 seems to be the controller, is correct?

yes. it is the "Storage Array Controller Device" which is used for in-band management and LUN inquiry.

It sounds like the virtual disk is owned by controller A, but ESX is confused by the standby path from controller B. Did you check within the adapter BIOS (Fibre Disk Utility) whether it can see LUN 1?

For redundancy, I really would equip both servers with two fibre channel adapter ports (either two adapters or one dual-port adapter).
Stephen Kebbell
Honored Contributor

Hi,

what version of VCS do you have on the EVA3000?
If you have VCS 3.xxx then your cabling is wrong - Controller A Port 1 and Controller B Port 2 should be on the one switch, and A2/B1 on the other.
If you have VCS 4.xxx then the cabling is correct, but this VCS is not supported for ESX 3.0. It's not in VMware's support matrix, and there is no support stream from HP for ESX 3 with EVA3000 VCS 4.x.

Regards,
Stephen
JUAN CHURRUCA

Thank you very much for your help.