Did you mean: 

Problem with msa 1500cs and two nodes

Oleg Fedoryshyn
Occasional Contributor

Problem with msa 1500cs and two nodes

Hello.
I have some problem with san configuration and ask you for advice. I have next
configuration:
- MSA 1500cs with two controller in Active/Pasive mode (firmware 5.20) - 2 pcs.
- MSA 20 and 12 HP 750 GB Hdd - 2 pcs.
- HP StorageWorks 4/8 Base SAN Switch ?????? 2 pcs.
- DL 380 G5 with two HP FC2142SR 4GB PCI-e HBA ?????? 2 pcs.
I plan to use MS
Windows 2003 server and MetaSan Software and MetaLan on lan Client from Tiger Technology.
Now I try how it work in FC, and make connection without any multipathing, you can see it
in attach file ??????san test??????. So I install Windows 2003 server R2 and SmartStart v7.91 CD on
each server, then I turn on first server and configure and format disk on storage??????s(basic
disk, ntfs), then I turn off first server and turn on second, and I haven??????t see correct my
disk on storage ? I see some disk without file system. What I??????m doing wrong?
I decided that??????s problem with drivers, And reinstall OS on both servers and install
SmartStart v7.80 CD. I have the same problem, and I haven??????t see disk that??????s I make before
on storage!!!
I??????m thinking that??????s something wrong in my configuration.

Best regards,
Oleg Fedoryshyn
3 REPLIES 3
James Muell
Valued Contributor

Re: Problem with msa 1500cs and two nodes

Your problem is for every lun you create you (Windows) will see two disks represented in Disk Management because you don't have any multipath software installed. Multipath will mask one of the disks and only show the OS 1 good path to the lun. You should also be using the ACU's SSP feature to assign the luns to the host you want to see it.

I read a little about MetaSAN and MetaLAN but not enough to comment except that just like every NAS system out there it requires Gig-E Network. Remember, the MSA platform is not at all a high performance System since the optimum throughput is via the controller which is rated at 160mb/p/s.
James Muell
Valued Contributor

follow-up
I looked at your attached graphic of your layout and it does not make sense to me. Are you using 2 MSA fibre connections from 1 MSA to 1 switch? 1 HBA p/host connected to the fc switch? Are you using 2 MSA controllers?
Oleg Fedoryshyn
Occasional Contributor

now i make simple instalation without any multipatn, because i think that i have some problem with multipath configuration.
I try to use SSP, thats doesn't help.